Hi Andrey,

As you observe, the Event dispatch function is not a part of the
public API, so it cannot be depending upon (future implementation may
change it's behavior).

Can you explain your use case? Why are you trying to simulate a click
to the browserAction?

As to your second question (why do you have to call the background
pages event.dispatch), the reason is that each page has it's own copy
of that event object, with it's own set of listeners. The
event.dispatch() as receiver of event data from the browser, not a
sender. It merely routes the event information to the listeners in
that context.

There is no way to "fire" events from javascript such that their
behavior would mimic the behavior as if the event had been generated
"organically" from the browser.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rafael