I am trying to write a simple chrome extension that receives input
from the user via an input text box.  It sends that input to a php
page that will generate some results and then display the results
right below the input box.

I'm using XMLHttpRequest to run the PHP page but the response that I
am getting back is empty (according to the console).  If I alert the
responseText then it will show the raw php code.  This works perfectly
if I just load the popup.html in chrome but does not work if I load it
in the extension or if I load it using chrome-extension://<id>/
popup.html.

This php request is not cross-origin.  The php page is in the exact
same folder as the popup.html.

Here is my request code:
var req;
function goGet(){
  req = new XMLHttpRequest();
  req.open("GET", "autocomplete.php?value=testValue", true);
  req.onload = handleResponse;
  req.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'application/x-www-form-
urlencoded');
  req.send(null);
}

function handleResponse() {
  var doc = req.responseText;
  alert(doc);             //Returns the raw PHP code
  var content = document.getElementById('content');
  content.innerHTML = doc;
}

Thanks for any help.