Using Browser Action as a general action and Page Action as a page specific
action are the purposes of these two features, I believe.
Merging the two into one (be it Browser Action or Page Action) kind of loses
the intended purpose.
However, having multiple (two, actually - one and one, but not more than
one) user interface surfaces for really related actions - seem appropriate
in cases such as this (and I am sure there are more).

Maybe you could add a review for extensions that use a Browser Action and a
Page Action altogether, like you have for "file://*/" permissions and NPAPI.
If you see that these are not really 'two features', but one feature that
simply has a general manner and a page specific manner, approve them.

☆PhistucK