This depends on the URL that you're opening.  If the URL points to a file in
your extension (like an options page) or if you use window.open then it the
new tab will open in the same process.  However, it doesn't sound like
that's what you're doing, and using chrome.tabs.create with an http:// url
should be a different process than your extension.

Is there a chance you could come up with some minimal example which
reproduces this issue?  Without being able to look at code or a test
extension it's hard for me to try and figure out what is happening here.

I'd also be interested to see if the memory is ever reclaimed from your
extension - can you try running chrome with the "--purge-memory-button"
command line flag?  This will give you a button in the task manager called
"purge memory".  Can you let me know whether pressing that frees up the
additional memory?

Thanks,
~Arne