I've played around with this a little. I found that I could create a
database from the content script or the background script but they
were mutually inaccessible, and the popup script could access neither
- I wrongly assumed that the popup script would be able to share more
with the background script than seems to be the case. At present my
app uses messages from the content script to the background script and
vice-versa because I plan to use (background-only) cross-site
scripting to store/retrieve information on a central server (possibly
a google app).  I would like the content script to provide summary
information and maintenance functions ( delete old information - how
big can a database be?).

My (buggy) extension uses a database to cache comments and postings on
a certain blog on which comments and posts frequently disappear
without explanation; It  tries to restore and hilite disappeared
comments (and, in the future, whole posts). I plan to extend it to
allow the deletions to be shared with other users.   The source is
available via a general intro here:
http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=14;t=6551.
I haven't added it to the google repository because it may be seen as
a little bit "mean-spirited" there.