Greetings,

Perhaps I’m confused so I wanted to raise this issue/question before sending a
patch.

On linux, I need a parent process to fork/execv chronyd and I have that parent
managing the needed Linux capabilities so chronyd can set the local time and
access reserved ports. That parent process has already dropped to a
non-privileged user which prevents chronyd from starting as the superuser or
making use of the -u option.

But with capabilities in place it shouldn’t need those things and chronyd’s
LOG_FATAL("Not superuser”) euid 0 test early in main() should not apply.

I understand that eliminating that test outright would change the behavior
other platforms (those without capabilities where a non-euid 0 invocation is
certain to fail later) so I didn’t want to do that.

Instead, I added a ‘-U’ option that just skips the euid 0 requirement. I’ll
need to rebase my patch before posting but wanted to discuss this first.

Does this make sense or is there another way to do it?

-Mike