On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlich...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:16:10AM +0100, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlich...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > > At this time, I'd be interested in including only in the first one. We
> > > can reconsider the other two later if you are still interested.
> > >

> > Worst case we at least improve the messaging which is better than
> nothing.
> >
> > That can be ok depending on what "later" means, what timeline are we
> > talking about for "later"?
> > In March is kind of ok, >=April would likely be too late for me.
>
> I think this all needs more discussion and I would like to postpone it
> at least after 3.3, which will hopefully be released at the end of
> March.
>
> To me it feels like there is a bigger problem that needs to be solved
> first. Containers need more information about the system clock, which
> only the host can provide. If this can be fixed (I'm not sure how),
> maybe there will be a better solution for the problem that -X was
> intended to fix.

Looking form far away at the problem I think I agree.
But all of this takes some (probably a lot) time.

Let me finish V4 as a discussion example for later on and I expect only the
improved output to be included for now.

> > > The example unit file shouldn't change.
> > >

> > Well, without dropping ConditionCapability=CAP_SYS_TIME it will never
> try
> > to use it.
> > No matter if one configures it for -x or the new -X - it will just not
> even
> > try while it would work inside the limits of -x/-X in those cases.
>
> The example unit file is intended for the typical use case, where
> starting chronyd in containers (with or without -x/-X) makes no sense.
> The thing that enables the -x/-X option should also remove the
> ConditionCapability. If you will go with the wrapper approach, you can
> modify the file in your downstream package.

Yeah, given the time constraints on "a real solution" I'll end up with my
wrapper for now.
And yes I can change things there as I needed.

P.S. as just outlined on IRC I might even make -x (lower case) the default
in containers.
As otherwise container features will make it by default "run & fail" as the
CAP will be around.

Anyway - thanks for the discussion and I hope to get to the V4 soon.