On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 01:31:42PM -0400, Luke Valenta wrote:
> Please consider this patch to add support for using NTP and NTS-KE server
> sockets passed to chrony from the systemd service manager.
>
> For context, we're currently testing out this patch as part of moving
> chrony to our tubular system for routing client traffic to services (
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/tubular-fixing-the-socket-api-with-ebpf/).

If I understand it correctly, this is intended for separated server
chronyd instances started with -x, right? chronyd is typically started
at boot to keep the clock synchronized at all times, so I'm not sure
how useful this would be for most people. I understand you might have
very different requirements.

In that blog post there is an alternative approach mentioned using
pidfd_getfd. That didn't work for you?

The patch seems quite invasive. I'm wondering if it could be better
isolated within the socket code. Would it make sense to simply compare
the local port numbers of sockets provided by systemd with ports of
to-be-bound sockets and replace the descriptor if they match?

I think there also would need to be some protection against closing,
e.g. when issuing the chronyc deny all command. The socket might be
needed later.

--
Miroslav Lichvar