On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 04:06:58PM -0500, Battocchi, Scott L. wrote:
> I ran the GPS while connected to a handful of ntp servers and saw that my gps
> offset (originally 0.180) was too low, so I bumped it up to 0.530 for the
> next two tests.  I've attached plots of the offset as recorded in the
> statistics.log file, if there are other metrics that would be useful I'm
> happy to graph them and send them out.
> ntp.png is with 5 pool servers and the GPS set to noselect (PPS is not locked
> to anything, but is selectable)
> gps.png is after the ntp test but back to just using the GPS and PPS, it
> looks like sometimes GPS gets selected as the source forcing the PPS signal
> to look like it is drifting relative to the system.

That looks similar to what I see with with a Garmin 18x LVC. This is a
capture 30 hours long I did some time ago (the NMEA source's offset
value was set to 0.5):

http://mlichvar.fedorapeople.org/tmp/18x_nmea.png

Since gpsd has added support for kernel PPS, I think it's better to
use the SHM 1 or SOCK source instead of PPS. Let it handle the HW
details and pair the PPS and NMEA samples.

> I think a portion of my original confusion was that the chronyc sources
> command was indicating that the pulse had never been seen, as opposed to it
> being seen and ignored.  I need to compare the GPS logs with the chrony logs
> to see if the changing offset is a function of the number of satellites in
> view, otherwise I don't have a great explanation for the wander seen in the
> ntp plot.

>From what I remember from other discussions about NMEA timing, it
mainly depends on how is the firmware implemented and the number of
visible satellites may have nothing to do with it.

--
Miroslav Lichvar