I think the most significant thing about all this is how Churchill, after all
these years, keeps getting dragged out as a symbol of what ever the latest
hobby horse is.  Much more than FDR or Eisenhower, for example.  Poor WSC; he
wouldn't recognize most of this from Adam.

Any really great man is going to create great loyalties and great animosities.
Why should you expect Churchill to be any exception?

I ws incredibly fortunate to have had such an experience - working for Robin
Olds.  I would have followed him anywhere, anytime without any question - as
would have hundreds of others.  But there were just as many - or perhaps more -
who couldn't stand him.  Which is perhaps why he never got to be more than
Brigadier General and it took some political maneuvering even to get him that
rank.

So don't worry about this stuff; it's to be expected.  Just take it as yet
another (though we didn't really need another) confirmation of Churchill's
greatness.

Jonathan Hayes
-------------- Original message from David Freeman <wdavidfree...@yahoo.com>:

Following up on recent charges made about Gordon Brown, The Times weighs in on
WSC:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/timesarchive/2010/02/was-churchill-a-bully.html

If you read through the article to the last letter you will see that Boothby
was being disingenuous.  He omits to mention that his incessant cuckolding of
Harold Macmillan (an open secret) might have had something to do with the
attitude other people adopted towards him.

David Freeman