Excellent points and my complements for making them! I myself  see nothing
wrong with taking pride in having Sir Winston as relative much less having him
as a grandfather!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Sandys <churchillsbrit...@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:24:06
To: <churchillchat@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [ChurchillChat] Re: Winston Churchill (Grandson) Death

It is sad that this publication did not have the courage to address
 this issue prior to my cousin's death.  Winston Churchill certainly
 faced challenges in OTHERS expectations of what THEY thought he should
 be.  Yes, he signed his name 'Churchill', they fail to mention that
 there was a practical reason; Winston was officially 'Winston Spencer
 Churchill', why waste ink.  If it was good enough for others to sign
 using only their surnames, why shouldn't Winston.  650 MPs, yes, but
 he was NOT alone in how he signed.

 As for the 'bumptious' remark, once again it is a coward taking a pot-
 shot at someone who is unable to respond.  I believe we all have
 tendancies towards 'bumptiousness', Winston included, and yes, he did
 sometimes sound arrogant in conversations, but to label him as
 'bumptious' and not state any sources, just merely saying 'it led
 some', is a very weak and insulting statement to make.  It's easy to
 insult someone who is unable to respond, especially when that comment
 will draw readers.

 Incidently, I notice on the Telegraph website that they don't even
 credit the article.  I'm betting the ill-informed cretin who wrote
 this had never even met, let alone got to know Winston personally.

 The headline in itself is insulting.  Winston was very proud of his
 herritage.  He did NOT spend 27 years trying to shake it off.

 The editor of the Telegraph has a responsibility to retract this
 "Editorial" and rewrite it with facts, not circumstancial evidence and
 irresponsible opinion.

 The comment on Randolph I am not even going to comment on.  I hope
 readers will take this up with the Telegraph.  What an insulting and
 unessesary article, for God's sake, the man isn't even cold yet! Where
 is the compassion? Why is truth so hard to find in the media these
 days.  Is the Telegraph the new Sun? (For US readers, The Enquirer)?