With the hung parliament currently in the UK, I was mentioning to someone the
discussions that went on that day.  This probably was the last time the UK
monarch choose a prime minister (the appointment of Home notwithstanding).  In
effect, the King was deciding whether or not to continue the war.  Had he
chosen Halifax, the war would have been over, at least for a time.  It probably
would have been a popular move as Britain would have been uninvaded and
unattacked, with its army rescued and its navy and air force still whole.

I love reading some of the political goings on.  After the no confidence vote,
which Chamberlain survived but many Tories voted with the opposition, the Tory
establishment was in an uproar.  One of the dissenting Tories was a young army
office named John Profumo.  After voting, he went off for a night of drinking
but early the next morning he was called into the office of David Margesson,
Tory whip.

In what has to go down with "You won't have Nixon to kick around any more",
Margesson finished an expletive laced diatribe with one of the worst political
predictions in history -- "On every morning that you wake up for the rest of
your life you will be ashamed of what you did last night."  That was on May 9,
1940.

Regards,

Anthony