Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 1:49 AM
To: churchillchat@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ChurchillChat] Clop / Klop / Kloppe

I suspect we may be overthinking this. Whether 'Klip' or 'Clop', I doubt Churchill was thinking of the sound of horses' hooves. He was probably thinking of the sound a hole punch makes.

Given that what we are dealing with is an idiosyncratic onomatopoeic representation of an inanimate object, unless the record shows Churchill spelling it one way or the other, then I would respectfully suggest that there is no 'correct' spelling. I would, however, not personally go for 'Kloppe', as it might lead to in insufficiently klipped pronunciation.

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Dave