I refuse to live in a police state. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on. Everyone of the fascists who voted for this are no longer to be considered as representatives as everyone of them has voluntarily signed on to be an enemy of this Constitutional Republic. May their God have mercy on their souls.

Max "Madd Maxx" Baer Robinson-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [DrugWar] US House approves renewal of Patriot Act
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:17:29 -0400
From: Tim Meehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: CMAP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, CCC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Drugwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, NDPot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you remember, Income tax was "temporary" too...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/21/patriot.act/

House approves renewal of Patriot Act
Critics voice concern over civil liberties

Thursday, July 21, 2005; Posted: 10:53 p.m. EDT (02:53 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House voted by a wide margin Thursday night to
renew expiring provisions of the USA Patriot Act, the collection of
antiterrorism measures passed after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The final vote was 257-171. The bill makes permanent 14 of 16 provisions
in the act set to expire next year and extends two others for another 10
years.

Passage came with the specter of terrorism fresh in lawmakers' minds
after another round of bombing incidents in London earlier in the day.
(Full story)

Parts of the Patriot Act have come under fire from civil liberties
advocates -- and some lawmakers on both sides of the political spectrum
-- who say they provide law enforcement with sweeping powers that could
be abused.

However, President Bush and GOP leaders have pushed for renewal,
insisting the act has been used judiciously and contains key tools
needed to fight the war on terror.

The Senate is considering its own reauthorization of the Patriot Act,
and the differences between the two versions would have to be hashed out
in a conference committee in coming months.

In a marathon session Thursday that stretched late into the night, the
House considered numerous amendments before moving toward a final vote.

Lawmakers narrowly turned back an effort by Rep. Rick Boucher, a
Virginia Democrat, to renew the expiring Patriot Act provisions for four
more years, rather than making them permanent. The amendment drew
spirited support from archconservative Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a
California Republican.

Rohrabacher said he supported the Patriot Act in 2001 because of the
threat faced by the country after 9/11, but only under the belief that
once the emergency was over, "the government would again return to a
level consistent with a free society."

"We should not be required to live in peacetime under the extraordinary
laws that were passed during times of war and crisis," he said, drawing
applause from some colleagues. "Emergency powers of investigation should
not become the standard."

But Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner said sunset
provisions were not necessary because there was no evidence the Patriot
Act was being misused and lawmakers could provide sufficient oversight.

The Wisconsin Republican, who shepherded the bill through the House,
also said 13 of the 16 provisions up for renewal have not been
controversial, including one allowing increased communication between
the FBI and CIA.

"Why sunset legislation where there's been no actual record of abuse and
vigorous oversight?" Sensenbrenner asked.

In the end, the amendment failed, with 209 in favor and 218 opposed.

Provisions allowing federal law enforcement to obtain library and
bookstore records have been among the Patriot Act's most controversial
parts. The House's reauthorization bill does not eliminate the library
provision, but it does tighten the language outlining how it can be used.

Lawmakers overwhelmingly passed an amendment that requires the FBI
director to personally approve any bureau requests for bookstore or
library records of suspected terrorists. Sponsored by Rep. Jeff Flake,
an Arizona Republican, it passed 402-26.

In the final tally, 14 Republicans bucked Bush and the party leadership
to vote against the Patriot Act renewal. Among Democrats, 43 supported
it, but 156 voted no.

CNN's Ted Barrett contributed to this report.

<]=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=[>
 [           Moderated by: Preston Peet | http://www.drugwar.com           ]
 |          -=/[ To Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]/=-          |
 |             To Unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
 [   DrugWar List in Digest Format: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ]
<]=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=[>

--
For liberty in our lifetimes,
by ANY means necessary,

Broadcasting ONLY in Hammond, Indiana:

"They're Stealing Your Country, TAKE IT BACK!

  NOW ON Comcast Cable Channel 21!!!
    Every Wednesday @ 5:30 - 6:30 PM
   Live call-in every other Wednesday
   1(219)852-4723 CST to participate!
-------------------------------------
Live in Indiana?
Visit:
http://www.hoosiermaster.com
-------------------------------------
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards."
            - Claire Wolfe, Author
           from "101 Things to Do 'Til the Revolution"
-------------------------------------
"Keep your powder dry"
      -Randy Weaver, Hero
    "And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family?  Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling in terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand.  The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst; the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!"
                                                                    Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Yada, yada, yada.

If this email does not comply with the above listed U.S.C., too bad, tough luck! Sue me for everything I've ever made from being an activist and I'll send you your part of the bill!

Madd Maxx-

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS