[GATA] Iranian assets reported transferred to southeast Asia

Assets swap over sanctions fear

Iran is transferring its assets from European accounts to other foreign banks to try to pre-empt possible UN sanctions over its nuclear programme, a senior Iranian official said.

The official confirmed comments from Ebrahim Sheibani, the governor of the Central Bank, which were carried on the Iranian ISNA student news agency, that Iran had started transferring funds. There were no details as to where the funds might be heading. Mr Sheibani said: “We transfer foreign reserves to wherever we see as expedient.”

The Asharq al-Awsat Arabic daily said that the Supreme National Security Council had ordered that $8 billion (£4.5 billion), about a quarter of its overseas assets, be moved to Singapore, Shanghai, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Iranian overseas holdings are thought to top $30 billion, of which $4.1 billion was in Britain at the end of September, according to Bank of England data.

United state bankruptcy court western district of texas United state life insurance United state patent
United state patent search United states patent office United state flag

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS