From: Jim Rarey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Jan 24, 2006 5:52 AM
To: SCOTT BALLARD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sam Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paula Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Patricia Natchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, norgesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nancy B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Stoker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Enrique José Coll-Franco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], David Lawrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bethany Mwgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bernie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andy Erlam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, lu haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Distribution list suppressed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [cia-drugs] Fire the whole top-level CIA

An excellent article but space limitations must have precluded detailing other outrageous cover-ups like Bojinka and the traitorous falsification of intelligence in the translation activity as outlined by Sibel Edmonds. Sibel and other whistleblowers have been silenced (muzzled)if they talk about it even to Congress in response to a subpoena. They face prosecution and jail.
The worst part is that most of the traitors identified by the whistleblowers are still in place.

JR

Fire the whole top-level CIA bureaucracy

Wes Vernon
Wes Vernon
January 22, 2006

President Bush sent Porter Goss to be CIA Director so he could clean up the mess there. We knew it would take time. You can't do that overnight. But in wartime, the question arises: How long can we afford to wait? Put another way: How many Americans need to die before we get an intelligence network whose leaders' competence is such that success in the war on terror takes precedence over bureaucratic prerogatives, petty infighting and (most of all) the anti-Bush agenda of the turf protectors who have seen mere presidents come and go.

Firing the careerist bureaucrats in the upper echelons of the Central Intelligence Agency is neither a new or unheard of idea. They should be dismissed before they do any more damage.

Note this passage from the book, Countdown to Terror by Congressman Curt Weldon, Vice Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee:

"The gross incompetence in the intelligence community over the last decade, combined with the current rebellion of intelligence community leaders, especially at the CIA, justifies a dismissal of present leaders in all agencies and across the entire intelligence community."

When he's talking about "all agencies," Congressman Weldon, a Republican from Pennsylvania, is referring not only to the CIA, but the National Security Agency (NSA), the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), and all lesser-known intelligence units. Weldon appears to have a valid point in taking on the upper reaches of all the intelligence agencies. He has done a mountain of homework. In recent months, this column has been focused on the CIA like a laser beam, and that is what I am prepared to deal with as of now. The senior officers of that particular agency should indeed be given the boot. Porter Goss needs to give them the pink slip forthwith.

Weldon is frustrated because of our "stovepipe" intelligence operations whereby the various intelligence agencies have not shared vital information that would have saved lives if action on it had been coordinated throughout the entire intelligence establishment. This might have prevented 9/11. this is no idle supposition. See below & stay with us here .

Incompetence is not the only issue. As stated previously in this space, there is a more serious problem of insubordination. The CIA bureaucracy is using its spying and undercover skills — meant for use in weakening foreign governments that pose a threat to America — to bring down an American president that the CIA high-level careerists do not like.

When a country's own intelligence agency turns on the commander-in-chief in wartime, does that rise to the level of the T word? Let the lawyers argue whether that amounts to outright treason. The relevant point is that when our own supposedly American intelligence establishment works against the commander-in-chief — whose responsibility is to "preserve and protect" this republic — consideration of drastic action is not out of order. If treason is too strong a word, one struggles in vain to find an appropriate alternative. Insurrection?

Weldon's desire to see top echelon intelligence operatives removed across the board throughout the entire intelligence community deserves respect and a fair hearing. For several years he has been hip deep in acquiring intelligence information from a secret source code named Ali. It's not as if the congressman has been trafficking in gossip. If the same intelligence information he reveals in his book had been collected by the intelligence agencies (That is to say, if the intelligence community had done its job), it would have been classified at the highest level.

Ali has proven himself time and again to be a reliable source. His predictions so far have been proven right on the money. Weldon has passed the information along to CIA operatives, who dismissed it out of hand, advised Weldon to cut off his connection with Ali unless Ali is willing to reveal his information sources to them and deal directly with them — I.e. put himself in their debt. Ali cannot do that.

Ali has given Weldon information that the CIA does not want you to know, and which he outlines in his book. Among the highlights:

  1. It is Iran that will decide the next terror strike on America.

  2. A major terrorist act was called off because the terrorists thought it would unite Americans behind President Bush and aid in his re-election.

  3. Iran, not al Qaeda, is the command post of radical Islamic terror. The Weldon book was released several months ago, but since then events have compelled a stronger focus on the nuclear threat from the half-crazed dictator who runs Iran. That brings us face-to-face with our decades-long nightmare: Nuclear bombs in the hands of a certified nut case.

  4. Iran plays a pivotal role in undercutting America's efforts to create a peaceful stable Iraq.

  5. Iran is like the Soviet Union in the 1980s: extremely dangerous, the iron glove behind all our enemies — yet — hope upon hope — on the verge of internal collapse.

  6. As has since been publicly verified, Ali informed the congressman that the Iranian nuclear program is red-hot and more advanced than previously believed.

Let's see if we can detect a pattern here (Some of these from Weldon's book. Others more recent):

  1. A former intelligence analyst at the NSA, Russell Tice, says he leaked the information to the New York Times that the NSA had monitored phone conversations between al Qaeda operatives overseas and people right here on American soil. Left-wing media types have decried such monitoring as "an outrage." We don't know if Tice was the only leaker in the case. Al "No Controlling Authority" Gore demands a special prosecutor, and charges President Bush broke the law. A Poll shows 64% of Americans approve such common sense intelligence activity.

  2. A CIA source leaked to the Washington Post the story that the CIA has set up prisons in Europe where terrorists are locked up so they can't kill any more innocent people. Again, media reaction is horror — not that someone would divulge such information, but that the CIA would set up the prisons (without providing the terrorists their "Miranda rights?") Bear in mind, the CIA's antipathy to Bush is so strong that careerists there are willing to reveal their own agency's secret operations just to embarrass the president.

  3. Someone at the CIA — to this day, it's not clear just who — took the suggestion of a deskbound in-house analyst named Valerie Plame and sent her husband Joseph Wilson overseas to verify whether Saddam Hussein's Iraq tried to buy yellowcake refined uranium from Niger, as claimed in a Birtish intelligence report cited by President Bush. Wilson returned home, wrote in the New York Times the yellowcake report was not true (different from what he actually told the CIA). Someone leaked the Plame/Wilson connection to columnist Robert Novak. This time, media uproar was aimed — not at the CIA for sending a politically-motivated liar on an intelligence mission — but at anyone who would dare leak information to Novak. Leakers are honored, you see, only as long as they stick to the hate-Bush script.

  4. Two Pentagon military officers — Army Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer and Navy Capt. Scott Philpott — say that a secret unit named Able Danger identified Sept. 11 mastermind Mohammad Atta as a terrorist one year before the attacks on New York and Washington. Others have since come forward to say they saw the same intelligence chart to which Shaffer and Philpot alluded.

    Most of the mainstream media ignored this one. However, in answer to a question, Congressman Weldon told me the other day that "Lou Dobbs on CNN is in this [story] up to his eyeballs, and he's determined to stay with it until the end....The same thing is true with Fox News and one reporter Katherine Herridge. She's very much on it. The New York Times [perhaps surprisingly] is on it. It's all over talk radio." He might have added columnist Michelle Malkin has been following the story. But ABC, NBC, CBS, the Washington Post? The biggies [other than NYT]? "I don't know," says the congressman, "I don't think the mainstream media wants to get into it."

    On TV, Weldon said, "You can't let a Lt. Col.'s career be ruined because of a bureaucrat at DIA. We're seeing lying and distortion, Wolf Blitzer [CNN] told me that a Defense Department official [likely DIA or originating with DIA] had told him that Shaffer was having an affair with a member of my staff. He doesn't even know my staff. What do we stand for, if not truth?" Also the Feds leaked to the mainstream media info that Shaffer stole pens when he was 15. That's how desperate these people are.

    But it doesn't end there. In a January 18 talk before the National Press Club's American Legion Post #20 here in Washington, Weldon said not only has the DIA denied Col Shaffer his clearance, "they're about to do the unthinkable." Now it turns out, "[t]hey're going to deny his health care benefits for his kids, take away his pay without firing him because if they fire him, he can talk to the media." Pentagon authorities — partly at Weldon's insistence — have backed off on that pending a report from the in-house Inspector General.

    There's another angle to this: The 9/11 commission missed the all-important Able Danger scandal on Mohammed Atta, even though the information had been handed to a member of the commission staff. Weldon says Peter Lance, an ABC investigative reporter is coming out in a few months with "an earth-shaker" of a book charging that a staffer for 9/11 Commissioner Jamie Gorelick, limited the scope of the commission.

    Already, he says, Gorelick — a top official in the Clinton administration — has phoned his office — and also the office of Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter — simply to say, "I didn't do anything wrong."

    "No one [in Congress] accused her," Weldon added.

  5. Not only did the CIA decline to meet with Weldon's secret source, Ali, but lied about having done so. Then Director George Tenet sent one of his top spies, Stephen Kappes to accompany the congressman to an arranged meeting with Ali in Paris where he has been living in exile. Kappes bowed out at the last minute. On the day of the scheduled meeting, the CIA spy claimed to have "other commitments." In his book, the Pennsylvania lawmaker says, "Later, the CIA claimed to have met with Ali independently. But I discovered this to be untrue. The CIA admitted this, with no explanation as to why they would lie to me about the meeting."

    Furthermore, Weldon added, "Incredibly, I learned that the CIA apparently asked French intelligence to silence Ali," and that an agent from the French Ministry of Interior paid a visit to the source and "did not overtly threaten Ali, [but] Ali nonetheless regarded the meeting as ominous, given its close coincidence with the time he was supposed to meet with the CIA. The purpose of the French Ministry of Interior appears to have been to intimidate Ali."

    Later the CIA finally did meet with Ali and told him point blank to shut his mouth and stop talking to Curt Weldon. Then Kappes threatened the congressman too, warned him to stop working with Ali, and said it was against the law for an American citizen to meet with a foreign agent. Preposterous on its face. And Weldon told him as much. Kappes warned the congressman that associating with someone like Ali might endanger the lawmaker's own personal safety.

    Americans can sleep a little better at night, knowing that Kappes is one of those who resigned from the CIA after unsuccessfully challenging the leadership of the DCI, Porter Goss. Still, the CIA, as of the publishing of Weldon's book, had yet to establish a working relationship with Ali.

  6. Current and former CIA intelligence operatives can expect to wait weeks, months or years to get the agency's permission to write a book. But miraculously, such was not the case with Michael Schuer, an intelligence officer with the agency. At first, the CIA — which tries to discourage its employees from publishing any books at all and often rejects requests for permission to do so — began putting Schuer's request through what would normally have been a tedious slowly grinding vetting process. Then suddenly, something turned all of this on a complete 180. The book's approval for publication was granted quickly like a hot knife through butter. And bingo! The book Imperial Hubris was out on bookstore shelves just in time for the 2004 election. And guess what? You are earnestly urged to believe that this ultra-streamlined process had nothing to do with the fact that Mr. Schuer's volume is nothing but a propaganda attack — as Weldon puts it — "not against our real enemy, terrorism, but against a sitting U.S. president.

    An amusing sidelight to this is that the book listed the author as "Anonymous." This corny laughable tactic flopped as Schuer's identity was quickly discovered. One wonders if this mirrors the CIA's usual proficiency with undercover operations where lives actually hang in the balance.

These are just a few samplings of how the intelligence community is dropping the ball in looking out for our best interests. But soon the action moves to Capitol Hill, and you will likely learn much more — that is, if the mainstream media see fit to follow this story and give it the attention it deserves. Also we don't know how publicly Congress will deal with it. Next month or perhaps very soon thereafter, several congressional committees, in both the House and the Senate, will hold hearings on the Able Danger mess. Armed Services, Government Reform, Judiciary, and Foreign Affairs panels reportedly are making preparations. Some hearings may be held behind closed doors.

As Congressman Weldon said at the Press Club's Legion meeting, "The point is — Why did this happen? Why was information that was legally collected and attempted to be transferred to the FBI [about Able Danger] not transferred? Why was there not a followup on linkages between Mohammed Atta and three other [9/11] terrorists?" He says a receptionist at the FBI will testify she set up three meetings where the bureau was to receive information on Able Danger. "And she will testify she doesn't know why the FBI canceled the meetings."

I asked the congressman what is to be done to call to account those in the CIA who think it is their job to bring down the commander-in-chief as if he — not the terrorists — was the enemy. Beyond his call for firing the top echelon's of the careerists there, the lawmaker put it this way: "This is a problem with any agency that thinks it's more powerful than any elected official in the country." And he adds, "The CIA's job is not to be political, but in my opinion, they are. It's the upper level bureaucracy [where they] think they know it all."

CIA blunders go back decades. The Church committee of the Seventies notwithstanding, the agency has not been the "rogue elephant" against the left that Senator Frank Church and others portrayed it. Rather, it has long been a left-tilting "rogue elephant" undermining this country's fight against our enemies.

At the end of the American Legion meeting, Post Commander Ralph de Toledano — dean of Washington columnists — recalled that when he was a Newsweek correspondent back in the Fifties — he discovered that "the CIA had planned the assassination of Chiang Kai-shek, president of the (free China anti-Communist) Republic of Taiwan.

In his 1997 book, "Notes from the Underground," de Toledano says Chiang's security people got wind of it, and planned "a welcome for the CIA murder team the moment it landed." Chiang vetoed that and said to "wait until you get their $3 million" that had been appropriated for their mission. The team arrived and began enlisting assistance. When its money ran out, the CIA agents were arrested, and those Chinese who collaborated were executed. No announcements were made. But the record will show the old Generalissimo lived to a ripe old age.

Reporter de Toledano sought confirmation on the information from Vice President Richard Nixon. "Of course it's true," Nixon said angrily. "The CIA tried to do the same thing to Syngman Rhee [head of state in anti-Communist South Korea"].

At the outset of this New Year, I had decided to tackle two major projects in 2006: Able Danger and the CIA. It is becoming clear the two are inextricably linked. You can't deal with one without the other. More on this later.

Wes Vernon is a Washington-based writer and veteran broadcast journalist.

© Copyright 2006 by Wes Vernon
http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/vernon/060122

The views expressed by RenewAmerica columnists are their own and do not necessarily reflect the position of Alan Keyes, RenewAmerica, or its affiliates.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

United state bankruptcy court western district of texas United state life insurance United state patent
United state patent search United states patent office United state flag

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS