This is sick. The person who did this is probably the area's next serial killer.

As usual, the police were less than helpful. They may be guilty of obstruction of justice by allowing the destruction of evidence by cremating the victim.

JR

Tacoma, WA - Tuesday, March 21, 2006 < Back to Regular Story Page

Dog advocates seek answers for burned pup

ADAM LYNN; The News Tribune
Last updated: March 21st, 2006 01:21 AM (PST)

The case of a Federal Way puppy horribly burned with acid has inflamed the passions of animal welfare advocates across the globe and pitted them against the two local law enforcement agencies investigating what happened to Mooie.

The 4-month-old pit bull was euphemized March 10 after being taken to an Auburn veterinary hospital with chemical burns over most of its body.

Officials with Sultan-based Pasado’s Safe Haven, a private nonprofit animal rescue shelter, are convinced the dog was doused with acid intentionally and have accused the Federal Way Police Department and King County Animal Services of bungling the investigation – a charge representatives from both agencies vehemently deny.

“It appears they’re not really doing anything,” Pasado representative Larry Brothers said Monday.

Officials from both agencies said they can’t prove someone intentionally hurt the dog, not yet anyway, and it’s possible the dog got into the acid on its own.

Al Dams, assistant manager for King County Animal Services, said he hopes a witness comes forward with information that can help his officers determine the truth.

Dams said he also resents the attacks directed at his organization by Pasado and its supporters.

“Animal cruelty gets us more fired up than anything,” he said. “Felony animal cruelty is the highest offense we investigate, and we take it very seriously.”

Unsatisfied Pasado officials have launched a campaign to bombard both agencies and Puget Sound-area media outlets with letters and e-mails demanding action. The News Tribune alone has received several dozen e-mails from outraged dog lovers, some from as far away as Texas and Iowa, and Pasado’s Safe Haven has been contacted by people from Europe and Paraguay.

In addition, private contributors have kicked in $5,000 in recent days to increase a reward for information offered by Pasado from $10,000 to $15,000, Brothers said.

“This is a particularly heinous case because of the way this little puppy suffered,” he said.

A passer-by found the dog in the yard of a house in the vicinity of the 28900 28th Place South. Mooie belonged to someone who lives down the street. Federal Way police spokeswoman Stacey Flores said Mooie’s owner didn’t know the dog – which had been Valentine’s Day present – was missing until later contacted by authorities.

The passer-by who found Mooie took the dog to the animal hospital in Auburn, where the pit bull was humanely killed after a veterinarian determined it could not be saved.

Federal Way police were called but passed the case onto King County Animal Services, Flores said.

“They’re the experts in such cases,” Flores said. “We don’t have anyone who saw what happened. Right now, there’s no one to investigate. We’re left with nothing.”

Contacted by the animal hospital, Pasado launched its own investigation – which included fishing through private trash cans – and concluded the official query was lacking, Brothers said.

Pasado investigators contend authorities cremated the dog’s carcass before performing a necropsy on it and have been slow to obtain a warrant to search what animal welfare advocates believe to be the home of a potential suspect.

A necropsy – an autopsy on an animal – could have provided significant clues to what kind of substance burned the dog, Brothers said. That information then could be used to identify a possible suspect, he said.

Dams said his agency is conducting a thorough investigation and that a sergeant and another officer are assigned to the case.

Investigators have pictures of Mooie’s body, her collar – which was exposed to the acid – and statements from those involved in the case, Dams said.

“We didn’t need a necropsy. We know how she died. She was euthanized,” he said. “We have plenty of evidence. What we need now is for a witness to come forward and tell us what they saw. Or we need a suspect to come forward and confess.”

Call with tips

Anyone with information on what happened to Mooie – the 4-month-old pit bull burned with acid – is asked to call King County Animal Services at 206-296-3958. A $2,500 reward is available through the Humane Society of the United States.

Pasado’s Safe Haven, a private, nonprofit animal shelter based in Sultan, also is seeking tips. Call 425-269-3621 with information. A $15,000 reward is available through Pasado.

Adam Lynn: 253-597-8644

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Originally published: March 21st, 2006 01:00 AM (PST)

Privacy Policy | User Agreement | Contact Us | About Us | Site Map | [EMAIL PROTECTED] TNT | RSS
1950 South State Street, Tacoma, Washington 98405 253-597-8742
© Copyright 2006 Tacoma News, Inc. A subsidiary of The McClatchy Company

United state bankruptcy court western district of texas United state life insurance United state patent
United state patent search United states patent office United state flag

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS