I have  submitted an abstract for a paper I want to read at the Harm
Reduction Conference in Oakland this coming November...for a bt of
field research that I haven't done yet. ;-) I'm hoping to do
background interviews this summer. you, or a family member or
friend, might be among the people I need to talk with for an
important bit of health activism that links the community of people
serving birthing women with the community of people promoting sane
policy on drugs.

here's the problem, and it's not one that's well known in the larger
society. in my own opinion as a social scientist and as an advocate
for the rights of all to quality care in their chosen setting, it
deserves greater airing and committed action to ensure the right of
mothers, their babies, and their families to respectful, appropriate
care and security.

in the present "zero tolerance, no on drugs" climate that pervades
health care and government policy, many women have been
labeled "suspected drug abusers" when they ahve gone to a hospital
or health clinic for prenatal, childbirth, or perinatal services.
this can happen in any of several ways; a woman may report a past
problem with prescribed or street substances as part of an hnest
assessment of her health. or, some aspect of the woan's appearance,
language, or demeanor may give a physician, nurse, or other clinical
health worker "reason" to write "suspected drug abuser" in ehr
medical records. or, she may report honestly occasional use of
marijuana in the innocent belief that this will npt be comsidered
problematic by some doctors, nurses, and other practitioners and
health workers. ironically enough, a woman who is commited to a
minimal medical intervention approach to birthing, and who thus
questions or declines many common procedures such as routine fetal
monitoring, or pain medication while in labor, may be targeted as
a "medical malcontent" or "suspected drug abuser." the consequences
for this, depending on the setting, can include blood or urine
testing of the mother or baby for various drug metabolites without
further permission, obligate bottle-feeding while in the hospital
(which can seriously affect the success of attenpted breastfeeding
later; for many mothe-infant duos, there is a critical period duing
which good breastfeeding needs to be nurtured), involvement of the
hospital social work staff and/or Child Protective Services with the
family in potentially highly invasive ways.

the field research phase of this project will consist of my
interviewing mothers, physicians, midwives (both home- and
hospital/clinic-based), social workers, and other people who have
direct experience of this labeling procedure. the main emphasis of
this paper is on cannabis testing and its consequences, although I
am happy to talk with anyone who has been targeted as a "suspected
drug abuser" based on accusations of the abuse of any substance.
(again, ironically, I have heard one report from a social worker
whose client was told she'd "tested positive for opiates" after
receiving standard narcotic-based pain medication during a hospital
birthing!)

all interviews will be in strict confidence, and identifying details
changed as needed to protect the anonymity of any interviewees. I'm
happy to meet in person with anyone who wishes to speak with me face
to face, but e-mail and tepephone interviews make it possible, and
desirable, to gather experiences frm people all over the United
States. I live in the San Frnacisco bay Area of California, so
interviews are a more likely face to face possibilty if you are
somewhere in northern California, though I'm hoping to travel some
this summer and could possibly meet with interviewees in otehr
locations if time and geography permit.

please pass this letter on to anyone you think may be interested in
being included in this study, and encourage them to contact me via e-
mail, at 510 594-1912. I'd appreciate it if you forwarded this
letter to any organizations or groups that might be interested, and
please, if possible, tell me where else this has been publicized.

I'm now contacting midwives, hospital workers, chldbirth-oriented
Internet discussions, drug policy reform organizations, maternal-
child health programs, ane medical marijuana advocacy groups to
gather a cross-section of potential interviewees whose lives may
have been affected by these practices.

thanks for reading all this, and I promise to make my paper
available to anyone itnerested (and possibly to name skillful
collaborators at gathering interviewees as co-researchers!)

I am planning academic publication of this paper as well as
presentation at drug policy conferences. while there may be light
statistical analysis of the information (e.g., depending on the
number and type of responses, a geographic assessment of whether
some regions are especially prone of overly
aggressive "intervention" of this type, or whether there are
socioeconmic factors that influence the likelihood of a woman's
being labeled a "suspected drug abuser"), the emphasis and
methodology of this paper will be primarily descriptive and
ethnographic.

many thanks, Judith Gips
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
510 594-1912