http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/249041/1/.html
Thai central bank admits currency control error

BANGKOK: The Bank of Thailand said on Monday it has underestimated the impact
of its draconian currency controls on the stock market, which is reeling from
last week's record losses.

"We anticipated a certain impact for the (stock) market. But we didn't expect
it to be this much," central bank governor Tarisa Watanagase said in an
interview with the English-daily Bangkok Post published on Monday.

The Thai stock market nosedived 15 percent, the biggest one-day drop by value
in the 31-year history of the bourse, on Tuesday due to panic selling over the
currency rules imposed to curb the Thai baht's rise.

Facing the stock losses amounting to a staggering 23 billion dollars on the
day, Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula backtracked on the capital
measures, which only took effect on Tuesday, in an embarrassing policy U-turn.

"The lesson that we have learned is that market panics occur more than we
thought, that the herd mentality of investors is strong," said Tarisa, the
first woman to head the central bank.

"We will need to consider investor psychology more," said the governor, who
took the helm of the Bank of Thailand in October after Pridiyathorn left the
top job to join the military-backed government as finance minister. - AFP/so