--- Since when is 45% the majority? How do we know the people really
voted like that? They seem to be following the same path the US is
on. But there is no surprise because it is about a One world gov.

In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, "norgesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> UK government lawyer admits 'war on terror' is meaningless
propaganda

> ---
>
> 'There is no war on terror'
>
> Clare Dyer, legal editor
> Wednesday January 24, 2007
> The Guardian
>

> Outspoken DPP takes on Blair and Reid over fear-driven legal
response to threat

> The director of public prosecutions, Sir Ken Macdonald, put himself
at odds with the home secretary and Downing Street last night by
denying that Britain is caught up in a "war on terror" and calling
for a "culture of legislative restraint" in passing laws to deal with
terrorism.

> Sir Ken warned of the pernicious risk that a "fear-driven and
inappropriate" response to the threat could lead Britain to abandon
respect for fair trials and the due process of law.

> He acknowledged that the country faced a different and more
dangerous threat than in the days of IRA terrorism and that it
had "all the disturbing elements of a death cult psychology".

> But he said: "It is critical that we understand that this new form
of terrorism carries another more subtle, perhaps equally pernicious,
risk. Because it might encourage a fear-driven and inappropriate
response. By that I mean it can tempt us to abandon our values. I
think it important to understand that this is one of its primary
purposes."

> Sir Ken pointed to the rhetoric around the "war on terror" - which
has been adopted by Tony Blair and ministers after being coined by
George Bush - to illustrate the risks.

> He said: "London is not a battlefield. Those innocents who were
murdered on July 7 2005 were not victims of war. And the men who
killed them were not, as in their vanity they claimed on their
ludicrous videos, 'soldiers'. They were deluded, narcissistic
inadequates. They were criminals. They were fantasists. We need to be
very clear about this. On the streets of London, there is no such
thing as a 'war on terror', just as there can be no such thing as
a 'war on drugs'.

> "The fight against terrorism on the streets of Britain is not a
war. It is the prevention of crime, the enforcement of our laws and
the winning of justice for those damaged by their infringement."

> Sir Ken, head of the Crown Prosecution Service, told members of the
Criminal Bar Association it should be an article of faith that crimes
of terrorism are dealt with by criminal justice and that a "culture
of legislative restraint in the area of terrorist crime is central to
the existence of an efficient and human rights compatible process".

> He said: "We wouldn't get far in promoting a civilising culture of
respect for rights amongst and between citizens if we set about
undermining fair trials in the simple pursuit of greater numbers of
inevitably less safe convictions. On the contrary, it is obvious that
the process of winning convictions ought to be in keeping with a
consensual rule of law and not detached from it. Otherwise we
sacrifice fundamental values critical to the maintenance of the rule
of law - upon which everything else depends."

> His comments will be seen as a swipe against government legislation
allowing the indefinite detention of suspected terrorists without
trial, later held incompatible with human rights by the courts, and
the replacement law that permits suspects to be placed under control
orders instead of being brought to trial.

> Sir Ken referred to the government's opt-out from the European
convention on human rights to pass the detention law - possible under
the convention only if the "life of the nation" is
threatened. "Everyone here will come to their own conclusion about
whether, in the striking Strasbourg phrase, the very 'life of the
nation' is presently endangered," he said. "And everyone here will
equally understand the risk to our constitution if we decide that it
is, when it is not."

> The criminal justice response to terrorism must be "proportionate
and grounded in due process and the rule of law," he said. "We must
protect ourselves from these atrocious crimes without abandoning our
traditions of freedom."

> SOURCE
>
> The Guardian, "'There is no war on terror'", 24 January 2007.
> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,1997247,00.html
>

> FURTHER READING
>
> BBC News, "Support for liberties 'declining'", 24 January 2007.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6290867.stm
>     British Social Attitudes, which regularly monitors public
opinion, found majorities supporting tougher police and surveillance
powers.
>     Some 45% of the 1,058 respondents said denying a trial-by-jury
to terrorism suspects was a "price worth paying".
>     And the proportion of respondents who object to compulsory
identity cards has nearly halved since 1990.
>     Researchers involved in the Social Attitudes project regularly
ask the public the same questions to monitor changes over time. The
studies are produced by a range of academics for the National Centre
for Social Research.
>     Asked for their views on civil liberties and police powers amid
the current tensions over national security, most respondents told
the researchers they supported strong measures.
>     Eight out of 10 respondents agreed it was "a price worth
paying" to restrict the freedom of those suspected of terrorism, such
as by using electronic tags, home curfews or bans on going to certain
places.