http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/07/362706.shtml
NOBLE RESOLVE - OPEN LETTER TO PETER DEFAZIO
author: fear no terror
      NOBLE RESOLVE is too dangerous to allow in Oregon. This exercise,
drilling War of Terror scenarios in Oregon, comes just as the media is filling
up with warnings of a new 9/11 and the recent Presidential Executive Orders:
NSPD 51, 5/10/07, "... allows the sitting president to declare a "national
emergency" without Congressional approval..."

      It's looking more and more like a perfect storm of terror, treason and
totalitarianism. Drills like these have a history of going live (e.g. 09/11/01
& 07/07/05) and now we have NSPD 51 - the equivalent of Hitler's Article 48.

      NO NOBLE RESOLVE FOR OREGON
      July 24, 2007
      Rep. Peter DeFazio
      2134 Rayburn House Office Building
      Washington, D.C. 20515-3704

      Eugene, OR 97401

      Dear Congressman DeFazio:

      The Oregonian recently reported on your investigation of President Bush's
"continuity of government" Executive Order, and on how the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS) thwarted your request for details. As I am sure you are
aware, DHS will be leading two emergency response drills in Portland over the
next 3 months: "Noble Resolve" in August and "Top Off" in October. Just as you
rightly sought details on the Bush Executive Order, Oregon citizens need and
deserve information about these military exercises.

      We are concerned that federal, state and local agencies will not plan and
conduct these "terrorism drills" with sufficient transparency and public
oversight. To address this need for local awareness of, agreement to, and
participation in exercises ostensibly designed for local security, safety and
welfare, we propose the immediate formation of a Portland Citizens' Oversight
Committee to represent citizens' interests.

      We request your endorsement of this reasonable request and hope you will
assist us in establishing such an oversight committee. We hope you will agree
that when a Federal agency such as DHS seeks to conduct exercises in Oregon,
full transparency to the public and oversight by Oregon citizens is essential.

      Our initial research on the Top Off exercise revealed contradictory
statements and a disturbing lack of openness on the part of local officials. We
do know that Portland will receive $2 million for the Top Off exercise alone.
No such figure has been publicized regarding Noble Resolve. The Top Off drill,
which DHS calls a "terrorism drill" (but local officials refer to as an
"emergency preparedness exercise") will begin on approximately 10/5/07, to last
for 9 to 10 days. Though Noble Resolve is scheduled for August, no similar
details or schedule have been released. We therefore have a series of immediate
concerns about this exercise:

      * what will be the precipitating event?
      * will there be enhanced police presence?
      * will the National Guard be involved?
      * will there be contractors involved (e.g., Blackwater)?
      * and will either or both drills involve rehearsals of local and federal
response to a "catastrophic emergency," as defined under NSPD 51, up to and
including the declaration of martial law?

      With the Bush track record on disaster response and media manipulation,
Oregonians are not naive enough to trust the Federal government to adequately
inform and interact with Portland residents prior to these terrorism drills.
Case in point, as of now, there has not even been an announcement about Noble
Resolve, and it is due to take place in August, just days or weeks from now.

      Another general concern is that the Mayor's office seemed almost unaware
of the recent Presidential Executive Orders: NSPD 51, 5/10/07, "... allows the
sitting president to declare a "national emergency" without Congressional
approval, leading to the de facto closing down of the Legislature and the
militarization of justice and law enforcement"; and the amended International
Emergency Economic Powers Act, 7/17/07, "allowing the US regime to seize the
property of anyone found to be interfering with the reconstruction of Iraq." In
correspondence with both the Mayor's office and Commissioner Sam Adams' office,
I have provided material to round out their knowledge of these Presidential
directives.

      We would be glad to discuss this matter with you or your staff further,
and/or supply resources in addition to those referenced below, that will
corroborate the concerns expressed in this letter. We will copy this letter to
other Congresspersons, Senators Wyden and Smith, Governor Kulongowski, Mayor
Potter, members of City Council, and a variety of local press and online media,
to raise awareness of these drills and our urgent proposal for enhanced
transparency and public involvement, given the current political climate. We
hope to receive your response this week, given the exigency of the August
drill. Please inform your staff that we will make a follow up call on this
matter if we do not hear back from you.

      Thank you and we look forward to talking with you or a representative.

      Best regards,
      Informed Dissent

      CC:
      Office of Mayor Tom Potter,