the other side of the media cover up

Amirault, Ingram and Wenatchee child abuse cases

Fells Acres - Amirault Case

_http://web.archive.org/web/20010719201703/http://www.vocal-nasvo.org/hardoon.
htm_
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010719201703/http://www.vocal-nasvo.org/hardoon.htm)

Letters to the Editor: The Real  Darkness Is Child Abuse WALL STREET JOURNAL
(J) 02/24/95
excerpts:
As the chief prosecutor of both of  the Amirault cases I am writing to
prevent the public from being misled into  believing that an injustice occurred
as
Dorothy Rabinowitz alleges in her Jan.  30 editorial-page piece “A Darkness in
Massachusetts.”
Her suggestion that the  convictions were based on “some of the most
fantastic claims ever presented”  presumptuously ignores the reality of the
cases. The
three Amiraults — Gerald,  Violet and Cheryl - were convicted after two
trials before different judges and  juries almost one year apart. They were
represented by able and well-known  defense counsel. The convictions were
upheld
after review by state and federal  appellate courts. The McMartin case in
California was the result of a botched  legal system and Kelly Michaels’s
conviction
was overturned because of legal  errors. Contrary to Ms. Rabinowitz’s
implication, the Amirault convictions were  neither of these.
Studies show, as did testimony  from a nationally recognized pediatric
gynecologist, that most sexually molested  young children have absolutely
normal
physical examinations. However, in  Amirault, the majority of the female
children
who testified had some relevant  physical findings, as did several female
children involved in the investigation  who did not participate in the trial.
The
findings included labial adhesions and  hymenal scarring of the sort present
in a very small percentage of non-sexually  abused children.
Ms. Rabinowitz’s article is a  superficial, one-sided look at a case handled
extensively and carefully by the  legal system. The victims and their families
in these cases have been  irrevocably harmed by what was done to them by the
Amiraults. Every argument  raised by Ms. Rabinowitz was ably presented by the
defense at the trials. The  juries, by their verdicts, rejected these
arguments. Justice was done.
see for actual case evidence
_http://abusearticles.wordpress.com/category/commonwealth-vs-amirault/_
(http://abusearticles.wordpress.com/category/commonwealth-vs-amirault/)
_http://abusearticles.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/common-vs-amirault-424-mass-
618-page-624.jpg _
(http://abusearticles.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/common-vs-amirault-424-mass-618-page-624.jpg)

_http://abusearticles.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/common-vs-amirault-424-mass-
618-page-622.jpg_
(http://abusearticles.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/common-vs-amirault-424-mass-618-page-622.jpg)

“All nine children  testified in a broadly consistent way…The children
testified to numerous  instances of sexual abuse. Some of the children
testified
that they were  photographed during this abuse, describing a big camera with
wires, a red  button, and pictures which came out of the camera. The children
testified that  the defendant threatened them and told them that their families
would be harmed  if they told anyone about the abuse….The Commonwealth also
presented a pediatric  gynecologist and pediatrician who examined five of the
girls who testified…She  made findings consistent with abuse in four of the
girls.
”
_http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/access/77139259.html?dids=77139259:7
7139259&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Aug+7%2C+2001&author=Peter+Gelzinis&pub=Bosto
n+Herald&edition=&startpage=002&desc=Amirault%27s+accusers+reveal+their+faces%
2C+and+their+pain _
(http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/access/77139259.html?dids=77139259:77139259&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Aug+7,+2001&author=Peter+
Gelzinis&pub=Boston+Herald&edition=&startpage=002&desc=Amirault's+accusers+rev
eal+their+faces,+and+their+pain)
Amirault’s accusers reveal  their faces, and their pain Boston Herald -
Boston, Mass. - Peter  Gelzinis - Aug 7, 2001
_http://web.archive.org/web/20010807011330/http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/200
10802/us/preschool_abuse_3.html_
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010807011330/http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010802/us/preschool_abuse_3.html)

Mass. Victims Fight Commutation  Plea By Leslie Miller, Associated Press
Writer
excerpts:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Victims in  the Fells Acres child abuse case broke
down Thursday as they described their  pain publicly for the first time in
hopes
of keeping the last person convicted  in the case behind bars. Victims urged
her to keep Amirault in prison. “During  counseling meetings as a child, I
would speak of a tall man touching me and  taking pictures of me,” Phaedra
Hopkins, 20, said at an emotional news  conference. “So many times, Mr.
Amirault
hovered over me, touched me and  hurt me and committed many disgusting acts of
abuse.” Those children,  now adults, stood by their testimony Thursday.
“This family raped me,  molested me and totally ruined my life,’‘ said
Jennifer Bennett, who  was 31/2 years old when she started at Fells Acres. “We
weren
’t coaxed. We  weren’t lying. We’re telling the truth and we always will,”
said Bennett, 22. “I  was there. None of you were there. We weren’t coaxed,
nor were we ever ever ever  brainwashed.” Brian Martinello, 21, said he was
sexually abused by Amirault. His  mother, Barbara Standke, claims her son came
home from the day care with sores  on his genitals and other people’s
underwear.
“I think it’s an absolute disgrace  to let anyone out of prison for such a
disgusting crime,” Martinello  said.
Paul Ingram - Thurston  County Washington Case
Seattle Post-Intelligencer - June  8, 1996 - News, Pg. B1 - Son of Deputy
Says He Was Sexually Abused ; Dramatic  Report in Testimony to Clemency Panel
-:
Rachel Zimmerman P-I Capitol Bureau -  Olympia
excerpts:
The son of Paul Ingram, a former  Thurston County deputy sheriff who
confessed to raping his daughters during  nightmarish satanic rituals but later
recanted, said for the first time  yesterday that he was physically and
sexually
abused by his father for  eight years. Chad Ingram, 27, told the state Pardons
and Clemency Board  that his father, who is serving 20 years in prison after
pleading guilty to six  counts of third-degree rape - crimes he now says never
happened - said he was  abused by his father from ages 4 to 12. “He would put
himself on top of me and I  would perform oral sex on him,” Chad Ingram said.
Thurston County Sheriff Gary  Edwards, though the case never went to trial,
it was subject to intense judicial  scrutiny, “all the way up to the Ninth
Circuit.” Edwards added, “This case was  not perfect but it had complete
judicial
review. “Paul Ingram did commit  these crimes; he plead guilty to these
crimes. I have no problem  shaving in the morning . I can look myself in the
mirror.
”
The Facade of Scientific  Documentation: A Case Study of Richard Ofshe’s
Analysis of the Paul Ingram  Case” by Karen Olio and William Cornell. APA’s
journal “Psychology,  Public Policy, and Law,” (1998, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1182-1197)
“
The case of Paul  Ingram, a man who pleaded guilty to sexually abusing his
daughters, has received  widespread media attention. Richard Ofshe (1992, 1994)
set forth a narrative of  the case which included his account of an experiment
to test the veracity of  Ingram’s confessions and concluded that the
inadvertent use of hypnosis during  Ingram’s interrogation resulted in the
creation of
pseudomemories that convinced  Ingram of his guilt. On the basis of an
examination of the original source  documents, the authors discusses the errors
of
fact, methodological flaws, and  confounding factors in Ofshe’s rendering of
this
case of alleged child abuse.  They also cite examples of the extent to which
Ofshe’s imperfect narrative of  this case and pseudoscientific conclusions
have been uncritically accepted and  repeated in the literature…”
Harvard Society for Law &  Public Policy, Inc. Harvard Journal of Law &
Public Policy - Spring, 1999 -  22 Harv. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 523 The Guilty and
the “
Innocent”: an Examination  of Alleged Cases of Wrongful Conviction from False
Confessions by Paul G.  Cassell - “According to the authors(Leo and Ofsche),
in twenty-nine of these  cases the false confession resulted in the wrongful
conviction of an innocent  person.” “examines nine of these twenty-nine cases
in detail. Based on review of  original trial court records and other similar
sources, the part concludes that  each of these nine persons were, in all
likelihood, entirely guilty of the  crimes charged against them.” “Leo and
Ofshe
rely in large measure on secondary  sources for the descriptions of the
evidence against the defendants in their  collection….For many cases, court
records
are available only in the local  courthouses where the trial took place, while
media accounts are often readily  accessible in computerized databases.
Relying on secondary sources, however,  poses the risk of inaccurate recounting
of
the evidence. Examining primary  sources for the cases in Leo and Ofshe’s
collection reveals that this is a very  real problem.” “The problems with the
subjective determination of “innocence” in  the Leo-Ofshe collection, like
similar problems elsewhere, suggests that  reliance on second-hand sources
combined
with understandable enthusiasm for the  enterprise of discovering
miscarriages may produce more such cases than really  exist.” “Only a relative
handful
of Leo and Ofshe’s cases would satisfy the  criterion of undisputed wrongful
conviction.” _http://www.kspope.com/memory/facade1a.php_
(http://www.kspope.com/memory/facade1a.php)
Wenatchee, Washington  Case
_http://abusearticles.wordpress.com/category/articles-on-wenatchee/ _
(http://abusearticles.wordpress.com/category/articles-on-wenatchee/)
information from articles :
At the trial, one girl showed  “definite medical signs of sexual abuse”
while “it could not be  ruled out for two others.
In 1996, a consultant, retired  Bellevue Police Chief D.P. Van Blaricom,
hired by a city insurer who looked into  how the Wenatchee police ran the child
abuse investigations stated that  the cases were handled properly. A U.S.
Department of Justice  investigation also found that there was no evidence of
civil
rights  violations.
Cops Win Wash. State Sex Ring Case  - June 29, 1998 - Aviva L. Brandt AP
Online - Seattle “A jury on Monday  rejected claims of police misconduct
brought
by four people who say they were  falsely accused of child rape and
molestation. After deliberating for  more than five days, the King County
Superior Court
panel decided that the  central Washington town of Wenatchee, the town’s
police officials and three  members of the Douglas County sheriff’s department
did
not violate the civil  rights of the four, who said they were falsely accused
in 1994-95. Douglas  County Sheriff Dan LaRoche said the verdict allows police
to keep investigating  sex abuse and molestation cases without fear of
lawsuits.
Debate Rages Over Wenatchee  Sex-Ring Allegations - November 6, 1995 - Aviva
L. Brandt, Associated Press  Writer - Wenatchee, Wash.
Excerpts:
A line divides this town. On one  side are those who believe dozens of
children were raped and molested over seven  years by adults in two loosely
organized sex rings. On the other are those who  assert a rogue cop and
obsessed
social workers created a whirlpool of sexual  hysteria - coaxing children into
accusations and bullying bewildered, poorly  educated adults into confessions.
Gov. Mike Lowry, petitioned by critics who  believe the case is a witch hunt,
has
asked for a Justice Department review and  is awaiting a decision from U.S.
Attorney General Janet Reno. Authorities say as  many as 50 children were
forced to have sex with adults since 1988 - sometimes  alone, sometimes in
groups.
In the last year, 28 adults have been charged with  child rape and sexual
abuse. Five have been convicted, 10 have pleaded guilty.
“Every female victim had  physical evidence of sexual abuse and the majority
of the males did,”  Smith said. “Clearly it’s pretty good evidence to show
that this is  occurring.”
Douglas County Prosecutor Steve  Clem sounded frustrated when asked about
allegations that his office hasn’t  bothered to look for the truth. “The
defense
attorneys are using what I’m sure …  some day in the future will be called
the O.J. defense, where they sling mud,  make wild accusations and see
conspiracies all around them,” he said.  “There’s physical evidence consistent
with
the stories they (the  children) tell. There’s more than one person talking
about the very  same things going on,” said Tim Abbey, a regional supervisor
with
the state  Child Protective Services. “And there are a lot of confessions,
and many times  they’re confessing to more than the kids said  happened.”