Canada to introduce biometric visas for visitors

By canadian bureau

03-02-2009

The Canadian government is proposing to introduce a biometric system for
visitors to Canada.

 The new programme is due to go live in three to four years, if it is passed by
the Government, and will mean that all those with a temporary Canadian visa,
including visitors, temporary workers and students will need to provide
biometric information.

The implementation of the programme has already encountered controversy, with
protests from privacy advocates claiming the information could be mishandled or
misused.

"The idea will be that we will take biometrics from people who are coming
temporarily to Canada and need a visitor's visa - temporary workers, students
and visitors," Claudette Deschenes, assistant deputy minister in the
immigration department told members of Parliament.  "Those who don't need a
visitor's visa to enter Canada will be taken at the port of entry."

"We will be launching in three to four years ... We expect in 4 1/2 to five
years we will have covered off at least 30%.  So we will start with certain
places in the world and then move from there."

http://www.visabureau.com/canada/news/02-03-2009/canada-to-introduce-biometric-visas.aspx

http://www.noonehastodietomorrow.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=882&Itemid=33

<<canadianvisa.jpg>>