How realistic is a North American currency?
Uniting U.S., Canada, Mexico money could result from crisis
Market Watch / The Wall Street Journal
28.01.2009
By Todd Harrison

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Thomas Jefferson once said: “When you reach the end of
your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.” As the global financial system pushes
on a string, investors are desperately trying to hold tight.The New World Order
is upon us, full of hope, promise and a fair amount of fear. In our recent
discussion regarding the direction of our country, we noted the risks of
catering to conventional wisdom and the implications for the U.S. dollar. See
MarketWatch column on New World Order.

"World, hold on. Instead of messing with our future, open up inside." -- Bob
Sinclair

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Thomas Jefferson once said: "When you reach the end
of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." As the global financial system
pushes on a string, investors are desperately trying to hold tight.

The New World Order is upon us, full of hope, promise and a fair amount of
fear. In our recent discussion regarding the direction of our country, we noted
the risks of catering to conventional wisdom and the implications for the U.S.
dollar. See MarketWatch column on New World Order.

The Minyanville mantra is to provide financial news you need to know before you
know you need it. That's a fine line to walk, as foresight often flies in the
face of mainstream acceptance.
In 2006, it seemed counterintuitive to forecast a "prolonged socioeconomic
malaise entirely more depressing than a recession." See Minyanville column.

For years, the notion of an "invisible hand" was conspiracy theory until we
learned that the Working Group on Financial Markets was a central policy tool.
See Minyanville column.

And now, as we gaze across our historically significant horizon, we must open
our minds to thoughts and ideas that may seem foreign to folks conditioned by
the past and stunned by the present.

Currency crossroads

As governments take on more risk -- as they price assets on behalf of the
market and transfer debt from private to public -- the common denominator, or
release valve, becomes the currency.
If our economic condition is allowed to take medicine in the form of debt
destruction, the greenback will appreciate, and asset classes as a whole will
deflate. If we continue to inject drugs that mask symptoms rather than address
the disease, the likelihood of a seismic readjustment increases in kind.

The deflationary forces in the marketplace are pervasive, and the "other side"
of our current equation, hyperinflation, may be years away. Given the
magnitude, breadth and pace of the global financial epidemic, however, we must
explore each side of the twisted ride.

Years ago, the Federal Reserve wrote a "solution paper" regarding the need to
combat zero-bound interest rates. The concern was the flight of capital from
the U.S. and an option discussed was a two-tiered currency, one for U.S
citizens and one for foreigners.

Canadian economist Herbert Grubel first introduced a potential manifestation of
this concept in 1999. The North American Currency -- called the "Amero" in
select circles -- would effectively comingle the Canadian dollar, U.S. dollar
and Mexican peso.

On its face, while difficult to imagine, it makes intuitive sense. The ability
to combine Canadian natural resources, American ingenuity and cheap Mexican
labor would allow North America to compete better on a global stage.

Experience has taught us, however, that perceived solutions introduced by
policy makers and politicians don't always have the desired effect.

Unintended consequences

I've long contended that, much like the Internet prophecy proved true -- but
not before the tech crash -- so too would globalization, albeit not without
painful-yet-necessary debt destruction.
To get through this, we need to go through this. If we're not allowed to go
through it, foreigners will seek alternative avenues. Remember, for holders of
dollar-denominated assets, seeds of discontent have been sowing under the
surface for years, with the greenback off 30% since 2002.

More likely than not, global leaders will watch how our new administration
attempts to tackle the financial crisis before taking drastic steps. They
understand that co-dependent risk exists as a function of the derivatives that
interweave our financial infrastructure. If they could disassociate from our
economic ecosystem without inflicting massive damage on themselves, they would
have done so long ago.
If forward policy attempts to induce more debt rather than allowing savings and
obligations to align, we must respect the potential for a system shock. We may
need to let a two-tier currency gain traction if the dollar meaningfully
debases from current levels.

If this dynamic plays out -- and I've got no insight that it will -- the global
balance of powers would fragment into four primary regions: North America,
Europe, Asia and the Middle East. In such a scenario, ramifications would
manifest through social unrest and geopolitical conflict.

This particular path isn't something one would wish for, but the cumulative
imbalances that steadily built in our finance-based economy must be resolved
one way or another. Therein lies the critical crossroads we together face as
our wary world attempts to find its way.

Scary? Yes. Probable? Not so much, at least for the time being. Possible?
Certainly, although I'll again offer that it could take years before the pieces
of this prickly puzzle fall into place.

Effective money management dictates weighing the entire probability spectrum of
potential outcomes and factoring them into our decision making process. While
the notion of a seismic currency shift may seem obscure, we must respect the
possibility long before it becomes front-page news.

For if we've learned anything through the last few years, proactive thought
provocation is a necessary precursor to effective preparedness.
Related:

Regional Currencies Set To Takeover - Pound To Be Replaced Says EU

Architect of the Euro backs UN global currency *

European Central Bank Sees Global ‘Tri-Polar’ Currency System Evolving

Recession is the ‘birth pangs of a new global order’, says Brown

Sky News: Global Governance deal requires ‘all continents’ and ‘all countries’
to conform

UN announces ‘Green New Deal’ for transformation of world economies

Destroying the old to bring in the new *

END OF NATIONS - EU Takeover & the Lisbon Treaty (1 hr 22 min)

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/do-we-need-north-american/story.aspx?guid={D10536AF-F929-4AF9-AD10-250B4057A907}

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=833