It has been admitted that real nuclear attack is becoming more probable
than ever before.  During most of the Cold War there were secret
agreements.
Most 'terrorists' are major intel groups concocted.  'Rogue states' would
be dumped on in a heartbeat if they even thought of a nuke.  But real
terrorists who would be 1- smart enough not to identify with any
particular state, 2- would obtain the uranium themselves not try to buy on
black market (most common tool is the jackhammer and can be disguised in
simple projects like roads or bridge work, 3- the 'hard-to-process' bull
is just for the public i.e. a centrifuge is a centrifuge.
Here:
http://www.midcoast.com/~michael1/webnukeletter.htm
Notice as per first paragraph that Adm. Keeting called off terrorist nuke
exercise shortly after the letter (as it was posted on Rumor Mill News)
had 14,000 readers within a few days. Why?  He was giving away too much.
My understanding is that there was a 'terrorist nuke exercise' eventually
held but 99% under cover.