On 06/28/09 07:12, Jim Klimov wrote:
I recognize this may perhaps a bit of an offtopic regarding the question
on "DFS client", but I'm interested in CIFS child mounts (i.e. for shared
> ZFS sub-filesystems).

I wonder if this phrase means the same technology as is needed for child
> mounts:

We made a project decision not to support child mounts over CIFS until
we decide how to resolve changes in underlying file system properties
as mount points are crossed.  This is on our to-do list but it is not
currenlty an active project.

2.Handle a special error that says "This is a reparse point,
so go get a DFS referral, mount it, and continue there."

I think it can be implemented this way (beside making fake "shortcut" files to
children's seaprate shares, for example) - so I wonder if it is.
Would this one rock hit both birds? :)

I'm not sure if you mean shortcuts or symlinks but, assuming you
mean symlinks, we treat symlinks more rigorously than, say, Samba.
The CIFS Service will not allow you to follow a symlink outside
the current share because we consider the share to be a boundary
- similar to chroot behaviour.  So it's not possible to fake
this with standard symlinks.

DFS referrals is an active project and we should have some news
on that in the very near future.  This will allow clients to be
redirected into shared child datasets.

Alan