Aha! In answering your followup questions I've stumbled onto a solution to my
problem. The bug in question was actually this one:

6832178: /etc/passwd and /var/smb/smbpasswd can get out of sync

Some time ago I'd added Amy's account, then I deleted and re-added it.
OpenSolaris did a couple of things wrong:

It didn't clear her entry from /var/smb/smbpasswd when her account was deleted
It didn't add the new uid to /var/smb/smbpasswd when her account was re-created

I've edited /var/smb/smbpasswd manually and it's working fine now.