My guess is this is a bug in the OpenSolaris distribution.  I tried two older
builds and they fail in the same way.  It's funny that SXCE doesn't have this
issue.

Another Note: I installed and configured the smb server package on the
OpenSolaris client.  I joined the client to the windows domain and tried
mapping the scratch share again.  This time the Windows domain user whom I used
to authenticate with became the owner of the mount point and I still could not
access the directory.

This is definitely an issue or a flaw in the way it works.

M-