I am trying to configure a system where there are two shares which point to
the same directory. One of the shares is read-only and the other is
read-write. I want the read-only to prevent file deletes, even if the user
does have the required file level permissions to delete it.

That should work, provided you've got all the permissions set up correctly. First off, could you run the cifs-gendiag script and post the output? Also, ls -V of a sample file that you're able to delete from the -ro share.

sharemgr show the state-ro share as being ro from everywhere/everyone, but I
can still delete a file from that share. Maybe I don't understand how it is
supposed to work.

Have you tried only sharing the filesystem as read only, to confirm that part is working? How are you connecting to the share, as Guest or as a domain or local user?

-Drew