By any chance did a Window Server 2008 domain controller join the forest
recently?
I have been chasing a similar issue.

A Windows Server 2008 domain controller was added to our existing domain of all
Windows 2003 servers and all of a sudden logins stopped working.
Join the computer to the domain again.  It works for a bit then stops.

The only solution that works in my situation is to turn off the Active
Directory services on the Windows 2008 Server.
We turned services back on recently to trouble-shoot and at some point logins
stopped working again.  Turned off Domain Services on the 2008 server again and
logins started working again without having the re-join the domain.