Hi Dochelp,

I'm currently debugging a problem where client seem to have problems with our
MS-BKRP implementation.

I found the following:

<18> Section 3.2.4.1: The process of falling back to server-side wrapping using the BACKUPKEY_BACKUP_GUID when retrieval of the server's public key fails using the BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID is no longer available by default for the operating systems specified in [MSFT-CVE-2022-21925]. However, the fall back to server-side wrapping can be enabled by adding a registry key designed for this purpose.

In addition, as noted earlier, Windows clients always retry failing operations once. The resulting process is as follows: The client first tries the BACKUPKEY_RETRIEVE_BACKUP_KEY_GUID operation, and if it fails, the client performs DC (2) rediscovery and retries the same operation. If the retry fails, the client tries a BACKUPKEY_BACKUP_GUID operation. If this fails, the client performs DC rediscovery again and retries the BACKUPKEY_BACKUP_GUID operation. If this also fails, an error is returned to the caller.

I have two questions:

1. what is the name and value is for the registry key in order to allow the
fallback to server-side wrapping to be activated again.

2. Is your tracing tool also able to debug client side powershell scripts? My
customer
   is able to trigger the problem with
ConvertFrom-SecureString/ConvertTo-SecureString

Thanks!
metze