From: David Mulder <dmul...@samba.org>
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2024 9:47 AM
To: Interoperability Documentation Help <doch...@microsoft.com>
Cc: cifs-protocol@lists.samba.org; Andreas Schneider <a...@redhat.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Meaning of 'RoleStandalone' in [MS-GPOL] 3.2.5.1.4 Site

In [MS-GPOL] 3.2.5.1.4 Site Search, the document says: "This procedure is
skipped if Machine Role is equal to DsRole_RoleStandaloneWorkstation or
DsRole_RoleStandaloneServer."

First off, what do the roles 'DsRole_RoleStandaloneWorkstation' and
'DsRole_RoleStandaloneServer' refer to? Is it saying only perform these steps
for an ADDC? Or does it mean skip this if the machine isn't joined to a domain?
It isn't clear what these roles mean.

Second, it says if the method returns ERROR_NO_SITENAME to continue the GPO
search. The server is responding with INVALID_COMPUTERNAME, not
ERROR_NO_SITENAME. Perhaps this is because we were supposed to skip the search
due to the 'skip' message at the top of 3.2.5.1.4? Or were we supposed to make
this site name request, and the server is responding incorrectly?

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba