http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21460307-30417,00.html

Massive cane toad made to measure
  a.. Ashleigh Wilson
  b.. March 28, 2007
THEY said it was as big as a dog - a small chihuahua could come close - but a
giant cane toad caught in Darwin by volunteer frog catchers is certainly among
the biggest to be found in northern Australia.
The volunteers, who were taking part in a series of hunts designed to contain
the spread of the noxious pests in the Top End, picked up the 20.5cm toad at
Lee Point, in Darwin's north, on Monday night.
According to experts, the "rampant male" weighed in at 869g and was one of 39
cane toads caught during the night. Stretched out, it was 40cm long.

"I was a bit stunned," said Graeme Sawyer, co-ordinator of toad monitoring
group FrogWatch North. "He's huge - I'd hate to meet his big sister."

Mr Sawyer, a conservationist who has seen his fair share of toads over the
years, said it was the size of a small dog.

"The only bigger cane toad I've seen is in a specimen bottle in a museum in
Brisbane," he said. "I reckon I've probably seen 50,000 to 60,000 cane toads in
the last 12 months, and there is nothing even remotely close to this thing."

Ross Alford, associate professor in James Cook University's School of Marine
and Tropical Biology, said yesterday he once saw an even bigger one. Caught in
Townsville about 10 years ago, that cane toad was 22cm long and weighed 1200g.

Introduced to Queensland in 1935 in a misguided attempt to control cane
beetles, cane toads quickly spread across Queensland before moving south into
northern NSW and towards Western Australia via Kakadu National Park.

Along the way, the cane toads have been blamed for eradicating the northern
quoll from Kakadu, as well as forcing two species ofgeckos higher on the
Northern Territory's threatened species list.

But the presence of such large toads in Darwin, in addition to recent sightings
near the centre of town, has not necessarily worried the small army of
volunteers committed to reducing their march across the Top End.

Mr Sawyer said regular "toad busts" had significantly reduced the number of
toads around Darwin over the wet season, a period when they were expected to
permanently move into town.

He said high levels of vigilance by Top End locals had all but stopped the
march of the cane toad into town.

Kirim email ke