http://www.arabnews.com/?page=6&section=0&article=97006&d=3&m=6&y=2007&pix=business.jpg&category=Business

Sunday, 3, June, 2007 (17, Jumada al-Ula, 1428)

      ABG Expands Business in Indonesia
      Arab News

      MANAMA, 3 June 2007 - Al Baraka Banking Group BSC (ABG), a Bahrain-based
Islamic banking group, intends to expand further its presence in international
markets by setting up a representative office in Indonesia. "The necessary
regulatory approvals have been received recently from Bank Indonesia, the
country's central bank," ABG said over the weekend.

      Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world, estimated at
220 million. It has a growing commercial and economic relationship with the
Arab and Islamic worlds, while internally it has witnessed positive economic
financial developments giving rise to an excellent investment environment. "All
these factors encourage major Islamic financial institutions to open offices in
Indonesia to serve the Muslim community there and contribute toward
facilitating trade flow between that country and the Arab world," ABG Chairman
Saleh Kamel said.

      "The successful IPO which increased the equity of ABG Group from $566
million to about $1 billion, has enabled the group to expand further into new
international markets. The expansion plans include a number of new markets such
as Malaysia, Indonesia, India, China and Syria, aside from certain Gulf
states," he added.

      "The ABG is firmly building up its regional and international presence
according to a clear and well thought out strategic vision. The group is also
expanding the range of the banking products and services that it offers to
clients, capitalizing on increased financial resources," said ABG President and
Chief Executive Adnan Ahmed Yousif.

      "We look forward to continuing our achievements in 2007, as well as the
work which we started since the inception of the group, namely building a
strong banking group capable of maximizing the benefits from enhancing the
business between the banking units affiliated to the group and from teaming up
to form strategic alliances with a view to realizing our mission which is to
make ABG a leading Islamic banking group at the international level," he added.

      The group's $31 million net income for the first quarter of 2007 is an
indication of its success in this regard. "This performance was the result of
focusing our efforts on a unified business strategy for the group and is in
line with a number of measures that we have taken to enhance the financial
resources of the group, improve the operating environment in terms of human
resources, technologies and control, as well as support from our subsidiary,"
he added.

      The investment grade rating obtained by ABG from Standard & Poor's (S&P)
will further increase the confidence of investors and customers in the group's
future business strategies, something that an international bank must possess.
"This rating will further confirm the soundness of ABG's capital adequacy ratio
and financial position," Yousif said, adding that this rating will enable ABG
to target the international market with greater ease and confidence and secure
attractive pricing in its efforts to raise finance.

Kirim email ke