Singapore Ratifies Extradition, Defense Agreements
Thursday, 13 September, 2007 | 16:36 WIB

TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta: The Singaporean government is currently in the
process of ratifying the extradition and defense cooperation agreements in the
parliament.

"The process is ongoing in line with the agreement that has been signed by both
countries' ministers," said Ashok Mispuri, Singapore's Ambassador to Indonesia,
after a meeting with Constitutional Court Chairman, Jimly Asshidiqie, at the
Constitutional Court building, yesterday (12/9).

The government, said Ashok, is now awaiting the administration process that
will involve ratification by Indonesian.

"From Singapore, we're awaiting the process in Indonesia, while in Indonesia
(I'm sure) the process will be carried out, too," he said.

Ashok acknowledged that the ratification process in his country could face
impediments and take a long time.

But this stage, he said, must still be passed through.

"So together we wait for the process as it has been signed. The (next)
provisions are already clear," he said.

Ashok did not answer when asked what had caused the halt of the further
discussion process, especially regarding defense cooperation agreement (DCA).

However, he denied that the impediment was Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew.

"There are no impediments," said Ashok.

Late April, the two countries signed extradition and defense agreements at the
Presidential Palace in Tampak Siring, Bali.

RADEN RACHMADI

Kirim email ke