http://www.tempointeractive.com/hg/nasional/2009/02/05/brk,20090205-158711,uk.html

Indonesian Government Ready to Face Xian's Lawsuit
Thursday, 05 February, 2009 | 23:03 WIB

TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:The department of State-owned Enterprises (SOE) is
ready to face a lawsuit brought by Chinese airplane producer, Xian Aircraft
Industry against PT Merpati Nusantara Airlines. In the lawsuit, Xian is
demanding a Rp1 trillion reimbursement from Merpati for the 15 MA-60 propeller
airplane it had ordered.

"If they sue us, we will fight back, but in principle, we will resolve this
conflict amicably," said SOE minister Sofyan Djalil in his office yesterday.
The government tried to resolve the issue professionally and negotiations to
reach a mutual agreement is ongoing.

The negotiations focused on the price, quantity and quality assurance of the
airplanes, including a buy-back guarantee in case the MA-60 planes did not meet
certain quality requirements. According to Sofyan, quality assurance is
necessary for the new airplanes' operation in Indonesia, "because we bought a
large quantity, not just three units like other countries do."

The government holds the right refuse aircrafts that could have damage
Merpati's reputation, particularly when another state-owned airline is
currently undergoing restructuring.

According to a Tempo source the government in fact had not approved the
contract to purchase the MA-60 airplanes, because the approval needed to be
vetted by a shareholders' meeting at the SOE department.

With each unit priced at US$15 million, the MA-60 aircraft is considered to be
overly expensive, especially when it is an old stock that had been kept in the
warehouse. "Just imagine, the planes were manufactured even before it was
ordered," he said.

Merpati CEO, Said Didu, said the MA-60 purchase was the government's domain.
"So, the ball is in their hands," he said.

WAHYUDIN FAHMI