http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/600/42/375032.htm

Crime Watch: Wife Knifes Husband in Eye For Refusing to Peel Potatoes
04 March 2009By Carl Schreck / The Moscow Times

I tend to purchase slightly more expensive potatoes that don't need to be
peeled or scrubbed too thoroughly before being tossed in the pot. I like
potatoes, but I absolutely hate cleaning them and peeling them. I'm willing to
overpay to avoid this work.

A Penza man also had an apparent aversion to peeling potatoes, one that
prompted his wife to hurl a knife into his eye in a fit of rage, according to
Penza region news portal Pzn.ru.

The description of the incident on Pzn.ru makes the wife sound like a
professional knife-thrower. After the husband refused to peel the potatoes, the
woman, from the Penza region town of Arbekov, grabbed a kitchen knife and
whipped it at her spouse, the tip of the knife lodging directly in his eye
socket.

The husband displayed true devotion, waiting three days before seeking medical
attention for the wound to his eye, then claiming he inflicted the wound on
himself, Pzn.ru reported. He later confessed how things really went down, the
web site said.

Luckily, the eye did not have to be removed, though the husband's sight has
been severely damaged.

A Penza region court recently sent the woman to prison for the attack, as she
was still on probation after serving time for murder, local prosecutor Irina
Alekseyenko told the web site.

According to Alekseyenko, the convicted murderer met her husband immediately
after being released from prison.

"Even though the victim begged that his wife not be punished too harshly, she
was nonetheless sent to prison for one-and-a-half years," Alekseyenko was
quoted as saying.

As Newsru.com helpfully notes, the incident was far from the first crime
involving culinary preparations.

In September 2008, a 53-year-old Tula woman was detained on suspicion of
stabbing her husband to death as he was shredding cabbage in the kitchen.

In another case, from January 2008, a Stavropol man was sentenced to three
years in prison for attacking his friend with a knife in a drunken argument
about how to prepare eggs properly.

The victim, who survived the attack, disagreed with his assailant's decision to
use tomatoes in the recipe.