http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2009/947/fr3.htm

14 - 20 May 2009
Issue No. 947

Published in Cairo by AL-AHRAM established in 1875

Benedict's benediction

BETHLEHEM, the birthplace of Jesus, was of course the highlight of Pope
Benedict XVI's visit to the Holy Land. He told Palestinians there on Wednesday
that he understood their suffering and upheld the concept of an independent
Palestinian state. "The Holy See supports the right of your people to a
sovereign Palestinian homeland in the land of your forefathers, secure and at
peace with its neighbours, within internationally recognised borders," the
pontiff told Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

He also delivered a special message of solidarity to the 1.5 million
Palestinians besieged in Gaza even though he did not include Gaza in his
itinerary. "In a special way, my heart goes out to the pilgrims from war-torn
Gaza," the pope told thousands of Palestinians who packed an open-air mass in
Manger Square. "Please be assured of my solidarity with you in the immense work
of rebuilding which now lies ahead, and my prayers that the embargo will soon
be lifted," he adde

<<fron01.jpg>>