http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=NTQ1ODY5MTEy

Regional News
Dubai Iranians protest at Ahmadinejad's 'rigged' win
Published Date: June 16, 2009

DUBAI: Iranians from one of the Islamic republic's largest expat communities
flouted a ban to protest outside their country's consulate in Dubai on Monday
against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed election victory. More than
two hundred men and women gathered outside the mission some 200 kilometres (120
miles) across the Gulf from Iran, chanting slogans calling Ahmadinejad a
"dictator" and accusing Tehran of rigging Friday's election. "Where is my
vote?" they shouted in unison as many of them told AFP that they had cast their
ballots in favour of runner-up Mir Hossein Mousavi. "I don't feel that there
was any respect for my vote... (the election was) absolutely rigged," said Ali,
32, who works as an architect in Dubai.

Ahmadinejad is a stupid... uneducated dictator," he charged. The Iranian
mission says there are around 400,000 Iranians in the United Arab Emirates-the
second largest congregation of expatriate Iranians outside north America.
Official UAE data put the figure at 110,000. Like many other protesters, Ali
withheld his family name and also covered his face with mask as a cameraman
stood on the consulate's roof shooting footage of the demonstration.

Nassim, 31, also an architect, wore stylish sunglasses which she said were
enough to cover her face, in order not to get in trouble when she goes back to
Iran. "We want to tell the world that we are not stupid. Please don't think we
are similar to our government," said Nassim, wearing a short-sleeved shirt and
letting her hair flow freely. She said she had voted for Mousavi because he
"doesn't want to fight with other countries.

Why do we need this nuclear power? We want better relations with the world,"
she added of Iran's controversial nuclear programme which the West and Israel
suspect is aimed at developing atomic weapons. Tehran insists that its nuclear
ambitions are purely peaceful. Although Monday's demonstration in Dubai was not
authorised in a country that does not permit public demonstrations, anti-riot
police allowed the protesters to stand for more than two hours outside the
consulate. Some demonstrators said they hoped to get permission to come again
and stage another protest. - AFP

<<regional513f17.jpg>>