http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=124483&d=13&m=7&y=2009&pix=community.jpg&category=Features

            Monday 13 July 2009 (20 Rajab 1430)

      Women can change the world
      P.K. Abdul Ghafour | Arab News

            ON A WRITE TRACK: M. Shahanaz, chief editor of "Anupama", a women's
magazine published from the south Indian state of Karnataka.

      In this world replete with ethnic and communal tensions and conflicts
women should play a constructive role as makers of peace and harmony, says M.
Shahanaz, chief editor of "Anupama", a women's magazine published from the
south Indian state of Karnataka.

      "Women have a greater role to play in society. Their activities should
not be restricted to the four walls of their homes. Instead, they should
educate themselves and engage in social activities. If women do their duty
properly and effectively, believe me they can change the world," Shahanaz told
Arab News.

      A novelist and a storywriter and winner of several awards, Shahanaz was
in the Kingdom to perform Umrah with her husband S.M. Muttalib, a
Mangalore-based businessman. Shahanaz has been successful in reuniting nearly
400 estranged couples - Muslims as well as non-Muslims - through counseling.

      She spoke about purdah (a kind of niqab used by women particularly in
South Asia) , the Islamic dress that has triggered international controversy
with some secular states banning women from wearing it. "Purdah is a sign of
freedom. It gives Muslim women a sense of protection. It is part of their
culture," she said, criticizing the move by some Western countries to ban the
dress. She also urged Muslims to remove the misconceptions of non-Muslims about
purdah. Shahanaz's Anupama magazine, which is run by a team of women
journalists, has played a significant role in the uplifting of Indian women.
She blamed communal tension in India on the ignorance of one community about
the religion and culture of other communities.

      "If people try to understand the religion and culture of others,
misconceptions would go away and a kind of communal amity would prevail in the
country," she said. The majority of people in India want peaceful coexistence
with others, she added.

      Anupama, which celebrates its 10th anniversary on Oct. 21, has organized
a conference on religious harmony in Mangalore's Nehru Grounds. "All of the
religious leaders who participated in the conference commended our magazine's
efforts in promoting communal harmony," said Shahanaz.

      Prominent personalities will be invited to the anniversary celebrations
in Mangalore.

      The 60-page monthly magazine focuses on hot social issues such as the
growing number of road accidents, environment pollution, farmers committing
suicide and domestic violence. It has special sections on counseling, an
ask-your-doctor section, and a children's corner. It has a readership of over
100,000 readers including a large number of Kannada-speaking women in Saudi
Arabia and other Gulf countries. Its website (www.anupamamonthly.com) will be
launched shortly.

      "About 45 percent of our readers are non-Muslims," the editor said,
adding that Anupama has been instrumental in removing the misunderstandings
non-Muslims have about Islam and its teachings. "We have started a new series
on Muslim scientists, which has drawn good response from readers."

      Shahanaz is also author of 10 books, including short stories and novels.
She has won 10 awards, including the Attimabbe and Kittur Rani Chennamma
awards.

      This was Shahanaz's first visit to Saudi Arabia, which took her to
Makkah, Madinah, Jeddah, Dammam and Riyadh. "I was quite impressed by the
Kingdom. I am planning to write a book on the two holy cities of Makkah and
Madinah. I have collected a lot of information about the two cities during my
visit," she added.

<<pixel.gif>>

<<anupama13_.jpg>>

Kirim email ke