http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=are-women-with-headscarves-the-8216other8217of-islamic-men-2009-07-17

Are women with headscarves the 'other' of Islamic men?
Friday, July 17, 2009
Isil Egrikavuk
ISTANBUL- Hürriyet Daily News

Debate over why Islamist men are marrying uncovered women has opened a
Pandora's box, with some saying the matches are simply made for love, while
others point to political interventions that have re-positioned women in
Turkish society.

Ahmet Hakan, a columnist for daily Hürriyet, made headlines last week by
drawing attention to recent marriages between women who do not wear headscarves
and Islamist men. Hakan gave as examples the sons of Istanbul Mayor Kadir
Topbas and Vice-Prime Minister Bülent Arinç, both of whom have partners who do
not cover their heads.

"If conservative men do not marry headscarfed women, who is going to marry
them?" Hakan asked, saying that Islamist men do not want to bring a "black"
woman with them. "They do not want to be seen in public with someone who will
be a burden for them."

Political or sensual?

Hakan's argument was not a new one; another Islamist columnist, Ismail
Kiliçarslan, asked the same question four years ago. Yet Hokan's column
prompted several other journalists, writers and intellectuals to take up the
subject again.

Ismet Berkan from daily Radikal was the first to respond, arguing that marriage
decisions are individual and based on love, rather than political arguments.

"The decision between wearing a headscarf or not is an individual one," Berkan
wrote. "When we bring such arguments into political debates, we open up a door
for sociological analyses that are worth nothing."

Some agreed with Berkan, saying that such debates were "useless." Conservative
writer Abdurrahman Dilipak sounded a similar note, saying, "Such debates are
not grounded in any sociological analysis. They are just filling up the
headlines."

Yet some see other motives behind the trend. Writer Cihan Aktas believes that
one main reason for such marriages is men's desire to build a career. "Women
who do not wear the headscarf are seen as a symbol of modernity," she said. "In
one of my stories, I wrote about a governor who started seeing his
[headscarfed] wife as a burden on his political career."

Indeed, the wife of former Istanbul Mayor Ali Müfit Gürtuna has been the focus
of such debate. After her husband left his post and jumped back into politics
in 2007, Reyhan Gürtuna removed her headscarf, saying, "Everyone should be free
in their choice of dress."

Others point to recent political interventions as the real crux of the matter.
In an interview with Tempo24, Ayse Böhürler from the ruling Justice and
Development Party, or AKP, traces the trend all the way back to a military
memorandum issued Feb. 28, 1997, in which Turkey's National Security Council
announced its decisions in response to what it saw as growing Islamic support.

"Before Feb. 28, the situation was very different. Muslim men and women could
work together in an office comfortably. After Feb. 28, headscarfed women were
seen as the symbols of a conservative look," she said. "Now conservative men
think that headscarfed women expose men as conservative. So, either in their
private or professional lives, men do not want to be seen with women who wear a
headscarf."

Gül's case

Useless or not, the headscarf has been the subject of many heated debates in
Turkey. When Abdullah Gül was chosen as the president in 2007, his wife's
headscarf made more news than his own views on religion.

Academic Nilufer Göle writes frequently about the position of women in both
public and private spaces in Muslim society. "The difference between the West
and the East declares itself in the position of women in society," she said.
"The Turkish modernization movement has tried to overcome this difference by
grounding itself in female rights. Yet Islamic movements today display this
difference by putting the women in the foreground."

So is showing the hair a symbol of modernity? Canan Aritman, a deputy from the
Republican People's Party, or CHP, said she definitely thinks it is. "Being
modern is not just a way of thinking, it is also about our image. It is about
how we dress," she said. "Before President Abdullah Gül was married to his
wife, she did not wear a headscarf either. In the male-dominated Islamist
community, it is a matter of pride to cover up the women. I believe that those
newlyweds will also cover their heads soon."

Kirim email ke