WEST PAPUA NATIONAL COALITION FOR LIBERATION

    Secretariat, c/o: WPPRO, P.O. Box 1571, Port Vila, Republic of Vanuatu,

Phone: + 678 40808 or 60651.   E-mail: rexr...@hotmail.com;

awulkew...@yahoo.com; mornings...@vanuatu.com.vu

Date: 15 July 2009

                           PR-No.9/2009

Stop the Violence, Promote Peace

West Papua National Coalition for Liberation is actively promoting peaceful
dialogue as a viable alternative to conflict resolution. It is also encouraging
the creation of West Papua Zone of Peace as declared by the Religious
Fraternity and Civil Society Organizations in 2001. We condemned the killing of
an innocent Australian citizen, Mr Drew Nicholas Grant in Timika, West Papua on
10th July 2009 by unidentified gunmen. We convey our deep message of condolence
to the families and relatives and expressed sorrow and dismay at Mr Grant's
death. The Coalition was trying to prevent this kind of violence by making sure
that all the organizations resisting Indonesia work together under one umbrella
organization and on a peace agenda. Members are fully aware not to react to
provocations by those who continued to incite violence in the Territory.
Because, at the end it would be our people who will suffer.

There is still confusion on who is directly responsible for the killing. Papua
Police indicated that it could have been the military. The Indonesian military
in turn blamed the OPM. West Papua National Coalition for Liberation has
categorically denied any involvement of its members. The Coalition condemned
the killing as an act of crime against innocent civilians. We call upon the
Government of Australia to send immediately the Australian Federal Police to
the area to independently and with the utmost transparency, investigate the
circumstances surrounding Mr Grant's tragic death. WPNCL also calls for the
presence of International experts to investigate the root causes of the on
going human rights violence in the Territory.

The Secretary General of the WPNCL, Mr. Rumakiek confirmed that a unit of the
military wing of the OPM under Commander Gen. Kelly Kwalik was in the area to
raise the Morning Star flag as part of their peaceful activities. But they have
left on the 8th of July well before the killing. It is possible as it is always
the case the military or its militias exploit this situation for their own
dubious interest Mr. Rumakiek said.

We strongly suspect the Indonesian military or its militias are involved in the
killing. The initial findings by the police confirmed that the bullets used
were standard amunition from the TNI. The bullets were removed before the body
arrived in Jakarta. There are possible reasons for the military to execute this
latest violence in the Freeport Mine area. There is current move by the Company
to scale down or reduce operation costs especially for security currently
provided by the Indonesian Security Forces including the Police.

Similar change of policy in 2002 caused a similar incident where an American
Teacher was killed. It could also be a signal for attention to SBY who is about
to be re-elected as the President of the Republic.

West Papua National Coalition for Liberation is calling on all parties to
re-endorse the declaration of "Papua land of peace" by the religious fraternity
and civil society organizations in 2001. "We all must work together for peace
and tolerance. There is no future in violence", said Mr. Rumakiek.

For more information please call, Rex Rumakiek on +61414247468 or Dr. John
Ondawame on +61439759026  and for Vanuatu, Mr. Andy Ayamiseba on +678 40808.

<<clip_image002.jpg>>