http://www.hindustantimes.com/Nopenhagen-Over-to-Mexico-City-2010/H1-Article3-486631.aspx

Nopenhagen: Over to Mexico City, 2010

Samar Halarnkar and Chetan Chauhan, Hindustan Times
Email Author
Copenhagen, December 15, 2009
First Published: 00:24 IST(15/12/2009)
Last Updated: 00:57 IST(15/12/2009)

God has given sufficient for human needs, not human greed."

On a day when the venue of climate talks became an almost unmanageable
jamboree, and it became clear that a solution would be postponed to Mexico City
in 2010, a group of influential scientists from China and Germany quoted
Mahatma Gandhi and offered the world a solution to cut global emissions.

The solution - born of separate proposals from the developing and developed
world - asks for a global carbon budget to be divided among every human on
earth, and is meant to enter presently stalled negotiations in 2010.

"We are preparing for 2010," US Chief Climate Negotiator Todd Stern told
Hindustan Times, echoing Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.

"A legally binding agreement at Copenhagen may not happen; there are huge
differences in the negotiating text."

The Sino-German proposal focused on simplicity on a day when thousands of
ministers and officials of 192 countries - 45,000 people registered to enter
the 15,000-capacity venue, forcing authorities to impose new restrictions -
streamed in and found it hard to agree on  basic details of the most complex
climate negotiations yet.

The proposal's bottomline: India's carbon budget has 80 years to run out,
China's 23 years, the US is already at minus 3, Africa has several 100 years.

"So you see, it forces responsibilities and timeframes on governments," Pan
Jiahua, a frequent advisor to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao and director of
Bejing's Institute for Urban and Environmental Studies, told HT.

"We have presented this to the Chinese government, and it gives no preference
to us, but it is the only way."

Asked if China, the world's biggest polluter, would accept a national carbon
budget, Jiahua said: "Our negotiators have told us nothing new can be
initiated. Post Copenhagen, it certainly can be."

Jiahua's view is shared by Dirk Messner, head of the German government's
Climate Change Advisory Council. "I advise the German government, and we too
have been told this can be taken on board after Copenhagen," Messner said. "A
global carbon budget is vital, and the urgency to act is critical."

The proposal is the first such attempt to bridge what over the last week has
looked like an unbridgeable divide between developed and developing countries,
and even between developing countries, now split between Africa, small island
nations and advanced developing countries like Brazil, China, India and South
Africa.

The proposal fixes the global carbon budget in gigatonnes, with the exact
amount up for negotiation. It recognises negotiating principles that developing
countries hold dear (per capita emissions and historical responsibility), and
brings to the table the western view that developing countries must do more.

"In 23 years, China will have to move to low-carbon development or buy carbon
credits, so it forces responsibility," said Jiahua, who quoted the chief
Japanese negotiator as saying the proposal was "simple and workable". That view
could not be independently verified.

The proposal uses 1990 - when climate change was first recognised - as a base
year for all calculations. "If we use 2009, 23 years is all the global budget
will last," said Messner.

The proposal takes into account emission rights and future budgets, says global
emissions must peak "very rapidly" and then be brought down year by year. The
peaking year will need to be agreed on, either 2015 or 2020.

One of experts used a metaphor to explain the global carbon budget. "Some
guests arrive first and eat some slices, while others come later and find the
pizza isn't enough," said Prof Chayun Tantivasadakarn, an economist and
vice-dean at Bangkok's Thammasat University. "We need to take into account
those who have already eaten. They get less, and they have a responsibility to
make sure the others get enough."