http://www.omanobserver.com/

Thursday December 17, 2009 / Dhul-Hajja 30, 1430 AH

Halal food in Paris hotel
By Vicky Buffery and Laurent Hamida

IN a stylishly decorated restaurant in the heart of Paris, tucked between
Bastille and Place de la Nation, Sophia Tabet is perusing a typical French
menu, including foie gras, beef fillet and duck confit. But unlike other French
eateries, this one offers no alcohol list, and all food is prepared strictly in
accordance with the principles of Islamic sharia law. "We all eat halal food.
It's nice to have a change, to be able to eat French gastronomy that's halal,"
said Tabet, 29, a customer adviser at a large financial services company.
Tabet is on a girls' night out with work colleagues at Les Enfants Terribles,
one of a new breed of up-market halal restaurants that have sprung up in and
around Paris, catering to a growing population of young Muslim professionals.
Born and educated in France, they have similar culinary tastes and social lives
to their non-Muslim counterparts, but eating out can be a disappointing
experience, restricted to fast food outlets, or the vegetarian option on the
menu.

"Before, eating halal in Paris, you were pretty much limited to pizzerias or
kebab shops," said Kamel Saidi, 32, who opened Les Enfants Terribles two years
ago with his brother. "I was born in France, I grew up in France and I was
frustrated because I wasn't able to enjoy good traditional French food," he
said. Literally translated, halal means "permissible", and defines foods that
Muslims are allowed to eat under Islamic law. Pork is strictly forbidden, as is
alcohol.

Halal meat must be slaughtered in the name of Allah and the animals' throat
slit to allow blood to drain before consumption. For Muslims, this rules out a
wide range of traditional French fare, but also restricts choice in the more
cosmopolitan eateries, such as Thai and Chinese, that have become a feature of
the French culinary landscape. In a country famed for its rich cuisine and
passion for food, halal can therefore prove something of a social handicap.

"What if you want to invite a colleague out? You can't really ask a French
non-Muslim to the kebab shop," said Saidi. France recently launched a debate on
the issue of its national identity, aimed at defining its essential unifying
values and reclaiming a renewed sense of patriotism. The conversation has
zeroed in on France's mainly Muslim immigrants, and the question of whether
their presence is diluting France's social and cultural character. But lost in
this debate are the growing number of second and third generation Muslims who
share the tastes and aspirations of a modern non-Muslim youth, and are seeking
to reconcile their religious values with a strong sense of Frenchness.

Dhieb Lagnab, 31, of Tunisian descent, recently opened a chic Thai restaurant,
Le Wok Saint Germain, on Paris' Left Bank, tapping into a growing urban trend
for international cuisine. "Personally, as a Frenchman, I don't identify with
my parents, but more with the young generation of French people who are opening
Asian restaurants," he said. "The only difference is that in my case, it's
halal."

France has Europe's largest Muslim community, estimated at over 5 million
people or 8 per cent of the population. Already, the market for shop-bought
halal food products is valued at 4 billion euros ($5.90 billion) and growth is
expected to reach 10 per cent per year up to 2012, according to a study by
Paris-based consultancy Xerfi. For Saidi, the gamble has already paid off - two
years after opening Les Enfants Terribles, he is fully booked every night, and
plans to open a second venue elsewhere in the city

Kirim email ke