http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\12\27\story_27-12-2009_pg3_4

Sunday, December 27, 2009

PURPLE PATCH: Marriage and love -Emma Goldman

 The popular notion about marriage and love is that they are synonymous, that
they spring from the same motives, and cover the same human needs. Like most
popular notions this also rests not on actual facts, but on superstition.

Marriage and love have nothing in common; they are as far apart as the poles;
are, in fact, antagonistic to each other. No doubt some marriages have been the
result of love. Not, however, because love could assert itself only in
marriage; much rather is it because few people can completely outgrow a
convention. There are today large numbers of men and women to whom marriage is
naught but a farce, but who submit to it for the sake of public opinion. At any
rate, while it is true that some marriages are based on love, and while it is
equally true that in some cases love continues in married life, I maintain that
it does so regardless of marriage, and not because of it.

On the other hand, it is utterly false that love results from marriage. On rare
occasions one does hear of a miraculous case of a married couple falling in
love after marriage, but on close examination it will be found that it is a
mere adjustment to the inevitable. Certainly the growing-used to each other is
far away from the spontaneity, the intensity, and beauty of love, without which
the intimacy of marriage must prove degrading to both the woman and the man.

Marriage is primarily an economic arrangement, an insurance pact. It differs
from the ordinary life insurance agreement only in that it is more binding,
more exacting. Its returns are insignificantly small compared with the
investments. In taking out an insurance policy one pays for it in dollars and
cents, always at liberty to discontinue payments. If, however, woman's premium
is her husband, she pays for it with her name, her privacy, her self-respect,
her very life, "until death doth part". Moreover, the marriage insurance
condemns her to life-long dependency, to parasitism, to complete uselessness,
individual as well as social. Man, too, pays his toll, but as his sphere is
wider, marriage does not limit him as much as woman. He feels his chains more
in an economic sense.

Thus Dante's motto over Inferno applies with equal force to marriage. "Ye who
enter here leave all hope behind."

That marriage is a failure none but the very stupid will deny. One has but to
glance over the statistics of divorce to realise how bitter a failure marriage
really is. Nor will the stereotyped philistine argument that the laxity of
divorce laws and the growing looseness of woman account for the fact that:
first, every twelfth marriage ends in divorce; second, that since 1870 divorces
have increased from 28 to 73 for every hundred thousand population; third, that
adultery, since 1867, as ground for divorce, has increased 270.8 percent;
fourth, that desertion increased 369.8 percent.

Added to these startling figures is a vast amount of material, dramatic and
literary, further elucidating this subject. Robert Herrick, in Together;
Pinero, in Mid-Channel; Eugene Walter, in Paid In Full, and scores of other
writers are discussing the barrenness, the monotony, the sordidness, the
inadequacy of marriage as a factor for harmony and understanding.

The thoughtful social student will not content himself with the popular
superficial excuse for this phenomenon. He will have to dig deeper into the
very life of the sexes to know why marriage proves so disastrous.

Edward Carpenter says that behind every marriage stands the life-long
environment of the two sexes; an environment so different from each other that
man and woman must remain strangers. Separated by an insurmountable wall of
superstition, custom, and habit, marriage has not the potentiality of
developing knowledge of, and respect for, each other, without which every union
is doomed to failure.

Henrik Ibsen, the hater of all social shams, was probably the first to realise
this great truth. Nora leaves her husband, not - as the stupid critic would
have it - because she is tired of her responsibilities or feels the need of
woman's rights, but because she has come to know that for eight years she had
lived with a stranger and borne him children. Can there be anything more
humiliating, more degrading than a life-long proximity between two strangers?
No need for the woman to know anything of the man, save his income. As to the
knowledge of the woman - what is there to know except that she has a pleasing
appearance? We have not yet outgrown the theologic myth that woman has no soul,
that she is a mere appendix to man, made out of his rib just for the
convenience of the gentleman who was so strong that he was afraid of his own
shadow.

Perchance the poor quality of the material whence woman comes is responsible
for her inferiority. At any rate, woman has no soul - what is there to know
about her? Besides, the less soul a woman has the greater her asset as a wife,
the more readily will she absorb herself in her husband. It is this slavish
acquiescence to man's superiority that has kept the marriage institution
seemingly intact for so long a period. Now that woman is coming into her own,
now that she is actually growing aware of herself as being outside of the
master's grace, the sacred institution of marriage is gradually being
undermined, and no amount of sentimental lamentation can stay it.

>From infancy, almost, the average girl is told that marriage is her ultimate
>goal; therefore her training and education must be directed towards that end.
>Like the mute beast fattened for slaughter, she is prepared for that. Yet,
>strange to say, she is allowed to know much less about her function as wife
>and mother than the ordinary artisan of his trade.

(This extract is taken from Anarchism and Other Essays by Emma Goldman)

Emma Goldman was a rebel, an anarchist, an ardent proponent of free speech, a
feminist, a lecturer and a writer

<<20091227_ed04.jpg>>

Kirim email ke