http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/jakarta-helps-stop-terrorists/story-e6frg6nf-1225876208039

Jakarta helps stop terrorists
Stephen Fitzpatrick, Jakarta correspondent
From: The Australian
June 07, 2010 12:00AM

INDONESIAN police have moved to treat all asylum-seekers passing through the
country on their way to Australia as potential terror suspects.

The new approach comes with help from the Australian Federal Police, who have
helped Jakarta to build a computer database that can cross-check illegal
immigrant and terrorism arrests.

The database was expected to be operational by next month, the country's most
senior police officer in charge of transnational crime told The Australian.

Brigadier General Saud Usman Nasution said at least one recent people-smuggler
arrest in Indonesia had suggested a direct link to international terrorism,
possibly al-Qa'ida.

The arrest was in the Sumatran city of Medan and the smugglers involved were
still being held in custody, General Nasution said.

"From their communication, from their phone numbers, we opened their phones and
then there was some talking about terror," he said. "We tried to follow from
their phones. We tried, with the AFP, to open this communication, and we are
sharing the information with the AFP."

He said the case was the first time people-smugglers in Indonesia had been
clearly linked to international terror networks, and warned that the
development was ominous. "I think they (terrorists) will always change their
modus operandi, and will come to areas with a new cover as an asylum-seeker,"
General Nasution said. "If they come as an asylum-seeker, it's not easy for us
to arrest them, because we have no data about them."
He said terrorist agents could have already made it to Australia as
asylum-seekers.

General Nasution said the AFP was helping to build the database, which could
cross-match fingerprints, photographs and testimonies of all foreigners
arrested in Indonesia. It would be accessible at 16 provincial police
headquarters deemed the most likely crossing-points for asylum-seekers heading
to Australia.

General Nasution said the system was designed to be able to share data with the
countries of origin of illegal immigrants detained in Indonesia.

Although Australia had been helpful in its short-term approach to dealing with
the asylum-seeker issue, the longer-term threats to Indonesia's security
remained worrying, he warned.

Any prospect of Australia turning asylum-seeker boats around on arrival could
never be supported by Indonesia. "In the UN convention, it mentions we cannot
refuse for asylum-seekers to come to our country - and this includes Australia."

Jakarta is not a signatory to the UN convention, but a tacit agreement with the
world body allows it to process refugee applications in-country and then
transfer successful applicants to third-country signatories to the convention,
including Australia.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING: PAUL MALEY