Refleksi : Bantuan apa yang bisa diberikan selain surat?

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/letters-to-replace-aid-to-gaza-strip/381160

Nurfika Osman & Putri Prameshwari

Letters to Replace Aid to Gaza Strip

An Indonesian humanitarian team seeking to take aid to the stricken Gaza Strip
with the help of the Iranian Navy says the effort has fallen through, and it
has instead devised an unusual plan to show its support for the people of the
occupied territory.

"We're going to collect letters from Indonesian children, community leaders,
public figures and others who are concerned about the Gaza issue, and take them
over in a pinisi boat," Joseri­zal Jurnalis, director of the Medical Emergency
Rescue Committee, said on Thursday. A pinisi is a traditional Indonesian
sailing craft.

He said the campaign was to raise awareness about the suffering of Palestinians
in Gaza, and to show solidarity with them.

"Solidarity can be expressed in many ways," he said. "It doesn't have to be
through sending humanitarian aid. It can also be through an event like this."

Joserizal returned to Indonesia from Iran on Tuesday, where he discussed
efforts to get a Mer-C aid shipment into Gaza through Egypt with the help of
the Iranian Navy.

He said the authorities had agreed, but their schedule for sending in aid and
volunteers did not give Mer-C time to prepare.

"It was too sudden, and we couldn't make it," he said.

Mer-C had sent four other members to the region in anticipation of the
shipment. One of them, Nur Fitri Taher, is expected home from Turkey today,
Jose­rizal said, while the others will also be back soon from Jordan.

The volunteers had been awaiting visas to enter Egypt and get into Gaza through
the Rafah border crossing. "But their request was denied by the Egyptian
Embassy, and they're returning home, too," Joserizal said.

He called on all interested parties to join the pinisi venture, and said
volunteers from South Africa and Malaysia were expected to join with their own
ships.

Joserizal said the venture would cost an estimated Rp 3 billion ($327,000),
which Mer-C is still collecting. "We already have Rp 1.1 billion, so we hope to
do this soon," he said.

He said the three ships would meet in the Mediterranean Sea, and from there
sail to the Gaza Strip.

The mission will be a repeat of the Freedom Flotilla that was intercepted by
Israeli forces on May 31 for trying to breach the blockade on Gaza.

Nine people were killed in the incident, and two of the 12 Indonesians on board
were injured by gunfire from Israeli commandos.

One of those shot, Surya Fahrizal from the Friends of Al Aqsa, is expected back
in Indonesia on Sunday. He will receive follow-up care for his gunshot wound at
Gatot Subroto Army Hospital, Joserizal said.

Five of the Indonesians in the flotilla returned home two weeks ago to a
heroes' welcome, including Okvianto Baharudin, the other Indonesian shot in the
raid on the Mavi Marmara.

The four others are Ferry Nur, head of the Indonesian Committee for Solidarity
With Palestine (Kispa), Kispa deputy head Mu­hendri Muchtar, Harjoti Warno, and
TVOne reporter Muhammad Yasin.

Foreign Affairs Minister Marty Natalegawa said that during a bilateral meeting
with his Malaysian counterpart, both governments had agreed to take a stand to
highlight the attack on the humanitarian fleet.

"We talked about how we could increase the role of Indonesia and Malaysia in
Palestine," Marty said.

Malaysian Foreign Affairs Minister Anifah Aman said his country would work with
Indonesia to try to end the blockade of Gaza.

On Thursday, Israel announced it would ease the land blockade of the territory
but would leave the naval cordon in place.