http://www.smh.com.au/world/now-he-tells-us-cuba-economic-model-doesnt-work-says-fidel-20100909-153bb.html

Now he tells us: Cuba economic model doesn't work, says Fidel
Paul Haven
September 10, 2010

Still mentally alert ... Fidel Castro in Havana last week.

HAVANA: Fidel Castro has told a visiting American journalist that Cuba's
economic model does not work any more, a rare comment on domestic affairs since
stepping down from the presidency four years ago.

Dr Castro also lambasted Iran's President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his
anti-Semitism and denial of the Holocaust.

The blunt economic assessment by the father of Cuba's 1959 revolution is sure
to raise eyebrows, particularly from his younger brother, Raul, the country's
President since 2006.

Jeffrey Goldberg, a national correspondent for The Atlantic magazine, asked if
Cuba's economic system was still worth exporting to other countries. Dr Castro
replied: ''The Cuban model doesn't even work for us any more,'' Mr Goldberg
wrote on Wednesday in a post on his blog.

He said Dr Castro made the comment casually over lunch following a long talk
about the Middle East and did not elaborate. The Cuban government had no
immediate comment on Mr Goldberg's account.

Julia Sweig, a Cuba expert at the Council on Foreign Relations who accompanied
Mr Goldberg on the trip, confirmed the former Cuban leader's comment. She said
she took the remark to be in line with President Raul Castro's call for gradual
but widespread reform, and a comment on too big an involvement of the state in
the domestic economy.

The Cuban state controls well over 90 per cent of the economy, paying workers
salaries of about $US20 ($21.82) a month in return for free healthcare and
education, and nearly free transportation and housing.

Since stepping down in 2006 Dr Castro has focused on international affairs and
has said very little about Cuba and its politics, perhaps to limit perceptions
he is stepping on his younger brother's toes.

Mr Goldberg, who was in Cuba at Dr Castro's invitation last week to discuss a
recent Atlantic article he wrote about Iran's nuclear program, wrote that
''Castro repeatedly returned to his excoriation of anti-Semitism''. In a
passionate defence of Israel's right to exist, Dr Castro, a longtime critic of
Israeli government policies, said Jews had been slandered more than any other
people and slaughtered for centuries whereas Muslims were not blamed for
anything.

The former leader criticised Mr Ahmadinejad for denying the Holocaust and urged
Tehran to acknowledge the ''unique'' history of anti-Semitism and understand
why Israelis feared for their existence.

Mr Goldberg also asked Dr Castro what he now thought about his recommendation
to the Soviet Union to bomb the US during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.
''After I've seen what I've seen, and knowing what I know now, it wasn't worth
it all.''

Mr Castro, 83, stepped down in 2006 due to a serious illness that nearly killed
him.

The Goldberg interview is the only one he has given to an American journalist
since he left office.

Mr Goldberg said the former leader's body was frail but his mind was acute.
''And not only that: the late-stage Fidel Castro turns out to possess something
of a self-deprecating sense of humour. When I asked him, over lunch, to answer
what I've come to think of as the Christopher Hitchens question - has your
illness caused you to change your mind about the existence of God? - he
answered: 'Sorry, I'm still a dialectical materialist.'''

Associated Press, Guardian News & Media

<<castro1-200x0.jpg>>

Kirim email ke