I tested that in Cinelerra-GG using a PNG made by me: 1920x1080 inside a 1920x1440. And using an easy settings, it works as you want, I think. But I don't know if it could work for you, for your specific video. Could you share a little fragment of video (at least 3 seconds), please? If you can,... can you upload that in somewhere,.. not here? Thanks.

IgorBeg