Den 15.09.2024 18:02, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:
On Sat, Sep 14, 2024 at 1:08 PM Andrea paz via Cin
<cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
Sorry Phyllis, I have tried to follow the various posts about ffmpeg
color problems, but I can't figure out how it works. I get the
impression that even the ffmpeg developers are not clear on how to
handle color in their program. I tried reading Poynton's excellent
book, recommended by Andrew, a couple of years ago but stopped early
because it was beyond my capabilities.
there is simpler colorful intro from around 2006

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_301-gierlinger.pdf

There are too many variables, beyond the problems of ffmpeg: lack of
color management (which I think all reduces to an initial transcode to
the absolute X,Y,Z color space from which then the program could do
all the transformations it needs without too much loss of color info),
lack of support for ICC profiles, not knowing how each and every
function and plugin of CinGG treats colors, interaction between CinGG
and ffmpeg, and who knows what else. As Adam said, “There is no color
management workflow.” It is no coincidence that colorimetry in editing
programs is found only in the big, rich, specialized companies.

Just in case something here is not already found:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/colorspace
https://medium.com/invideo-io/talking-about-colorspaces-and-ffmpeg-f6d0b037cc2f
https://kdenlive.org/en/project/color-hell-ffmpeg-transcoding-and-preserving-bt-601/